Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

Whats the go with these tow hitches?

the lever is a pos to open but is okay if adjusted to be super sloppy.

not far off just replacing it unless they have some magic benefits?

And yeah, not super stoked about the safetychain hooking up to the attachment bolts.

0AB272AD-1572-426A-819A-3B72F238EEBD.jpeg.60ce96a5dd08fb1733dd957584826439.jpeg

• Sad 1

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ajg193 said:

Are you running the right size ball on it?

Yep, got a multiball on the truck for this very reason, as you can expect is was adjusted right up to work on a 1-7/8 ball

47 minutes ago, Bling said:

2" ball is pretty oddball. Parents boat trailer used to have a similar coupling type. Was always a bit odd feeling but the trailer never fell off.

Yeah its very similar to American braked couplings that are on boat trailers except for the made in China and no brakes.

That eye the safety chain attaches to looks like it's not operating in its plane of maximum strength. 

Honestly looks to me like it would snap in a second if called upon to do safety chain duties.

If you have a multi sized ball, I've got a (basically new I think) 50mm coupling you can can have if you want. I'm gonna throw it away otherwise.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

That eye the safety chain attaches to looks like it's not operating in its plane of maximum strength. 

Honestly looks to me like it would snap in a second if called upon to do safety chain duties.

If you have a multi sized ball, I've got a (basically new I think) 50mm coupling you can can have if you want. I'm gonna throw it away otherwise.

Keen, otherwise was going to steal the one off the Datsun A-frame. I have no idea when I can call over, maybe next weekend…

1 hour ago, Valiant said:

Buy a new coupling and a rated safety chain while you're there.

Sounds like to the scrap bin it all goes, rated chain and shackles for sure

• Thanks 1

Mix and matching oil brands.

Google says it's fine, what does OS say. I have a mostly full bottle of 5w-30 fully synthetic oil. Can I top it up to be a full oil change with another same spec 5w-30 fully synthetic oil? Reason being the oil I have no isn't easy to find as it's been replaced / on clearance but not near me. So plan is to buy a 5L bottle and use what I have already and top up with the 5L. Leaving enough for my next change.

I imagine it's not really any different to an oil change at a garage where previous brand (and even grade) isn't known. 

Chur