Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah totally depends on the car / method it's installed with. If glued, a box cutter will do it, rubber seal is a length of thin rope / fat string. Have done both with no friends, with success. Rubber seal is piece of piss, cutting the urethane just takes time.

3 hours ago, Metalhead96 said:

Best methods to removing a windscreen? 

Mate needs his pulled so we can fix the rust around the screen but no one will come do it unless he makes a claim.

First need to establish what its held in by...

Rubber fit, soft seal or glued.

If its rubber fit and you don't intend on keeping the seal, you can run a blade on outside of the glass slicing through the 'H' of the seal and it will come out in 30 seconds.

If you plan to reuse, you will have to pull the locking strip and from the inside slowly push the lip of seal over the vehicles pinch weld. Can use a couple of flat blade screwdrivers with tape over the blades for this.

Some old cars use whats called a Thermo Kit, which is basically soft seal with a wire running through which when energized softens the glue for installation. If its held in this way, best bet is to leave it in the sun on a really hot day, remove any trims, then just carefully push the window out. Blades and wire will be a cunt on soft seal as the stuff is really sticky. You can use a knife, but will need to use some soapy water/crc/glass cleaner to help lube it and to stop the sealer from sticking back on itself. 

If its glued like modern cars, then a drag knife, craft knife or guitar string will work fine. Pretty easy to catch an edge and break it using the wire or a drag knife though. If you plan to reuse glass taking your time with a sharp craftknife would be a better option. Keep the blade flat to glass and don't flex it.

I would recommened wearing some protective gloves if cutting it out. 

3 hours ago, Metalhead96 said:

Best methods to removing a windscreen? 

Mate needs his pulled so we can fix the rust around the screen but no one will come do it unless he makes a claim.

You could give Glen at Instant Windscreens Christchurch a call and see if he will do it, or at least recommened someone.

He used to work for my old man. Tell him that Matt -  Kevin from Ace Autoglass' boy said to speak to him. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ah yeah, knew this was coming eventually:

_writeReg(DisAutoSleep, 0x01); //默认为0,使能自动进入低功耗模式

_writeReg(NorScanPer, 0x01); //设置报点率

(the chinese in the comments)

is there any reason why i couldn't/shouldn't run a 1/4" fuel hose where the red line is (secured with P clips), under the radiator, across to the other side (RH side of photo) where an electric fuel pump will be mounted?

Currently there is a mechanical fuel pump under the alternator and the fuel hose crosses the front of the sump under the crank pulley to get to the carb.

20230106_184039.jpg

9 hours ago, cletus said:

quoted 3k or something stupid like that to replace a proximity key ...

Regards,your friend the cave man   sensible purchaser (FTFY).

Wait 'till you see the price of the security chips:

https://octopart.com/search?q=pcf7946ac&currency=USD&specs=0

(Yep USD$3) - I'm kind of surprised the dealers aren't burned down on a weekly basis.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cletus said:

Was talking to a mate yesterday about this sort of thing yesterday after he got quoted 3k or something stupid like that to replace a proximity key , I have come to the conclusion that if a car doesn't have a key you poke into the ignition then it's too new and I don't want to know about it. 

Even better

Regards,your friend the cave man. 

any thing built after 2005 can stay outside my ownership, unless i could afford to buy new, and on-sell with balance of warranty

• Like 2

14 hours ago, kws said:

is there any reason why i couldn't/shouldn't run a 1/4" fuel hose where the red line is (secured with P clips), under the radiator, across to the other side (RH side of photo) where an electric fuel pump will be mounted?

Currently there is a mechanical fuel pump under the alternator and the fuel hose crosses the front of the sump under the crank pulley to get to the carb.

20230106_184039.jpg

I can't see any reason why not if it's attached correctly. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, cletus said:

I can't see any reason why not if it's attached correctly. 

Thanks, I didnt think it'd be a problem but I sometimes overlook the obvious, so a sanity check is good. The very early UK Marinas ran a hardline under the radiator in the same place, but changed the pipe from the tank to the other side of the car later down the track.