Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I want to cool down an auto 4wd (3SGE Rav4) when towing, will just mounting a small trans cooler be a good idea? It never went above half way on the temp gauge, but at idle the fan would switch on and off, so it must be getting warm. Plan to tow a bit in the next 6 months, but if i'm wasting my time in this situation with a cooler, I won't bother. Factory it just runs into the engine rad.

Any other suggestions on easy ways to keep things cooler?

Wat.

Agree with the others, nothing you have described is concerning. Only what your proposed actions are =P

• Like 1

I understand the why the fan is turning on and off completely. But I know the engine was getting hotter than usual, to be expected with towing. I noticed that it was staying on a longer than usual. So I just thought I might be able to aid the cooling by taking the cooling of the trans off of the radiator. Google a 1997 rav 4 engine bay if you're not sure how tight everything is packed. Engine has been rebuilt in the last few years, so i'd like to keep it happy.

Fitting a Trans cooler is a good idea to keep your Trans happy but won't change the coolant temp much. Just make sure the radiator has no blockages and the coolant is good.

I just figured if the radiator was taking load from the trans, it would add heat to the coolant via the radiator. But it's not going to add much heat i'm assuming from what you've said? Coolant should be fine, replaced a couple years ago, not sure on radiator condition. Wasn't sure how much heat the trans would be adding to be honest. And often see people talking about adding trans coolers to keep things in check. Could be a good idea just for health of trans then.

Has anyone had great success with trans coolers? I see the benefit of having them plugged into the radiator as Blings is, that 1. you have a reasonable heat exchange with some control - trans fluid -> radiator coolant -> air via flow or fan assist. and 2. you get some feedback from the coolant system when shits getting hot. Just using an oil cooler with the trans would mean your reliant on that heat exchange plus you're probably getting no feedback on temp.

I've never done it just wondering - also curious re manwell gearbags, given splash lube do they cook, can a cooler help (given it wont be seeing any mechanical flow)

That was a pretty womble spec post steeb, but never mind. Yes, tranny coolers are pretty much essential on slush boxes, hence why just about every one has one of some form or another. Air to fluid are the easiest to plumb in and cars have an almost unlimited amount of air too use as a cooling medium, if you are seriously worried about temps, ie in a drag car, you have a temperature gauge, but when towing is the only extra load then plumbing in an extra cooler or changing to a larger air cooler works well and is cheap.

As for a manual box, if you are serious about keeping it alive you will set up sprayers and an electric pump and have its own system.

Hth.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention, AC wasn't on.

It tows fine, i'm just wanting to keep things ticking along nicely. I don't tow in top gear and don't thrash it while towing, so it should manage fine. I could go buy something that is better suited, but then I can't afford gib and bricks. It's towed everything i've asked so far, so I don't plan on selling it to be honest.

That's all I wanted to know really, will it improve the cooling in my situation. In the meantime I have considered running a temperature gauge and just monitoring that. It might not even get THAT hot, idiot gauges don't really give much detail.

Cheers for the help chaps.

That was a pretty womble spec post steeb, but never mind. Yes, tranny coolers are pretty much essential on slush boxes, hence why just about every one has one of some form or another. Air to fluid are the easiest to plumb in and cars have an almost unlimited amount of air too use as a cooling medium, if you are seriously worried about temps, ie in a drag car, you have a temperature gauge, but when towing is the only extra load then plumbing in an extra cooler or changing to a larger air cooler works well and is cheap.

As for a manual box, if you are serious about keeping it alive you will set up sprayers and an electric pump and have its own system.

Hth.

How was it womble spec? im asking a question. I've never done it so i dont have empirical evidence, but just slapping on a generic oil cooler isnt particularly scientific

This could be irrelevant, and totally unscientific in every way, with no recorded data, or even adequate testing done other than feel. But I installed a trans cooler in my Hilux Surf after a hard day out on the beach in the sand climbing sand dunes etc, I could feel the heat in the car coming off the tunnel was immense. Since the install of the trans cooler (still plumbed into the radiator aswell), I have yet to feel the same immense heat from the tunnel, in the same or even slightly hotter weather conditions. As I said, totally unscientific, but reel woorld gainz wur hed i buleve.

• Like 4

Looking for ideas on what I should be checking here or if this is normal.

Basically I bleed my brakes religiously before each track day and have noticed the fluid is always dirty out of the RF caliper, but comes out mint on the rest.

Car always pulls up square when braking in a straight line so am pretty sure its not a sticking piston causing too much heat (pads are wearing evenly too).

I always clean off the pistons with brake cleaner and a rag before pushing them back in.

RBF600 fluid

Wilwood 4pot calipers (different pads for track and street)

Stainless steel brake hoses

Factory rear with better pads

That sounds like it's worth investigating. I would be stripping down the calliper and checking that out and probably giving the entire system a over zealous flush through...

I think you may have an issue. Could be the internal lining of the hose breaking down or seal deposits.

• Like 2

Yeah what your doing sounds perfect. Clearly you have something supplying sediment. It's normal to see seal material building up in reservoirs etc but usually over very long periods of time on road cars. On race cars I don't see it due to frequency of fluid change...

• 2 weeks later...