Willdat?

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, kyteler said:

Rear mount the turbos?

Has been done. I remember reading a neat article in ppc mag years back. A fella mounted a turbo under his pug gti at the back. Alloy outlet pipe running forward to engine bay had external fins and acts as an intercooler. Requires scavenge pump for oil return.  Future ideas.... 

As for batteries etc... One day maybe but expensive and heavy. Plus I prefer the look of something like this to a battery or electric motor... 

737_4c5ba7767f928.jpg

Apv van? 

Cheers for info. Am I right in that the vitara boxes have a removable transfer case? 

In other news it's looking more like heading down the duratec route. Found some cheap Mx5 mk3 5 speed boxes to suit. Great ratios., great boxes. Bolt straight on. Even better is the amount of cheap nc engines! Search continues. 

1 hour ago, yoeddynz said:

Apv van? 

Cheers for info. Am I right in that the vitara boxes have a removable transfer case? 

In other news it's looking more like heading down the duratec route. Found some cheap Mx5 mk3 5 speed boxes to suit. Great ratios., great boxes. Bolt straight on. Even better is the amount of cheap nc engines! Search continues. 

Iirc Vitara box has transfer case in place of van's extension housing.

Is Duratec same as MZ in Mazda6?  Excellent choice, if it is. Thought the MX5 had the 2 litre version with 6 speed?

9 hours ago, locost_bryan said:

Is Duratec same as MZ in Mazda6?  Excellent choice, if it is. Thought the MX5 had the 2 litre version with 6 speed?

It's the mazda L series. Nc Mx5 and last gen mondeo. Only ford are continuing using them whereas mazda have since moved on. The1. 8 and 2.0  are about 100kg all up.  Only RWD boxes that fit are Mx5 and some Ford pickup boxes. There are bellhousings available to suit type 9 and t5 boxes. But at £200 I might as well get the 5 speed Mx5 box with the great ratios and avoid the type 9 yuck (I can't afford a type 9 from a 2.8 capricorn.. All gone expensive. I had one too and sold it on cheap...:-(

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_L_engine

3 hours ago, yoeddynz said:

It's the mazda L series. Nc Mx5 and last gen mondeo. Only ford are continuing using them whereas mazda have since moved on. The1. 8 and 2.0  are about 100kg all up.  Only RWD boxes that fit are Mx5 and some Ford pickup boxes. There are bellhousings available to suit type 9 and t5 boxes. But at £200 I might as well get the 5 speed Mx5 box with the great ratios and avoid the type 9 yuck (I can't afford a type 9 from a 2.8 capricorn.. All gone expensive. I had one too and sold it on cheap...:-(

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_L_engine

Thanks for the link.  I wasn't aware of the "L" designation, always knew it as the MZR in the Mazda6 and US Ford Ranger, didn't realise it was the basis for the Ecoboost in the Falcon.  Had a 2.3 in a Mazda6, went hard for what it was. :-)

• 1 month later...

Yeah it's getting quite a lot of "wow I've not seen a viva wagon like that for years!" here too. 

Parked it up in the kaiteriteri campground the other night when seeing family and some old bloke came up and asked me if I'd sell it to him. He'd always liked them, wanted one but hadn't seen one in years. 

Then the security guard at the gates stopped me and said he just had to  check it out. He had a Victor fd and had never seen a viva HB wagon. 

I dont understand why the 2001 mondeo engine is so popular? I had a 2001 Ztec and it was very average, are you from England? 

Let me know if you need HB viva parts I am helping an old guy clear out his colection and there is alot of viva stuff like engines diffs panels etc.

7 hours ago, SOHC said:

I dont understand why the 2001 mondeo engine is so popular? I had a 2001 Ztec and it was very average, are you from England? 

Let me know if you need HB viva parts I am helping an old guy clear out his colection and there is alot of viva stuff like engines diffs panels etc.

Its become very popular as a swap not only in the UK but also the US where many (2.3) Duratecs have been sold. Plus all the Mazda engines available which are even better.   Main reasons are that the engine has a very well designed head which flows well without any mods needed plus the bottom end is very rigid and all in a very lightweight compact package. So many of them about over there that they are a cheap way of decent modern power. A stock engine is 145bhp and throw a set of itbs on with an aftermarket ecu and you have 200plus straight away. Add some decent cams, better rods and pistons and you can have a very reliable 250-300.

The Zetec is quite different. Iron block for starters, head doesnt flow as well, timing belt, earlier engines dont have the solid lifters that the Duratecs have.

Viva stuff!!!  Yeah I am after some bits! I'm looking for a dash top in good condition- after all the work Hannah did in fixing this one up its cracked again in the sun :-(  Luckily there isn't really anything else I need except possibly a chevette/Viva HC 1256cc engine but I'm better off sourcing one down here eh -  getting stuff down from Auckland and all that....

7 hours ago, Firetruck said:

So an MPS L3 will bolt up to an MX5 box? Coz that'd be the option I'd go for.

Yeah I'd love one of those boxes and had one lined up in the UK when I was there in November..$260 but couldnt sort out decent freight in time (hence I had started that freight thread a while back)

Problem is the boxes are so bloody expensive here (well in Alex terms they are..) @ around a grand or more. So this is why I was going to do an adaptor plate again.