JR's Cycle Car build

JR

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Kimjon. Iv had a bit of a fuck up that hopefully some of you pro fabricators might be able to help me with... So here is the story.

I tacked the pedal box up and all was well. I was pretty happy with it being my first time doing anything like this.

image_zps4kgnpnac.jpg

image_zpsbf6bux9w.jpg

If your wondering why it has two master cylinders, this one below operates the clutch and it is attached to the accelerator pedal. Its a bro auto for while hes little.

image_zps02t0bkre.jpg

All was going well until I tried to weld the brackets on properly.....

image_zpsaauhq5ny.jpg

AGGGHHHH, its bowed out at the top, I only did half of one of the brackets and noticed.... How do I stop this. I'm too embarrassed to show a picture of my welding, yikes.

Any advice is much appreciated, cheers guys..

Usually to avoid warping you do small stitch welds on alternating parts of the job, let it cool in between. Try and clamp it to something solid that can help it stay in shape and sink some heat, big bit of steel or if you are lucky a slab of aluminum.

• Like 4

what they said ^^^ and clean the steel first .. it really really helps wire wheel or flap disc get rid of the oily and rusty coating will make it way easier

cool project looking superclean so far you will get a handle on the welding

aliexpress has alloy reservoirs for those master cylinders in spangly colors for  1.99

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've just mounted the aliexpress brake caliper.TdCIHuw.jpg

This wee guy was only 9 months old when I started this... I promise I'll pick up the pace.

u4NJOcI.jpg

I need one more sprocket for the jack shaft. I'll have to have a good think about how fast I want it to be before I order it. 

After that it will be drivable, just lots of tidying up to do, paint it, make a chain cover and make the interior look nice. 

• Like 8

I’ve spent tonight fitting/adjusting the body to make sure it’s ready to paint. Making sure the clearances are ok.

lBjOVuo.jpg

ghKH0dW.jpg

What do you guys think of the windscreen? I keep changing my mind if I like it or not.

bBwE0E1.jpg

And what about the latches for the bonnet? If I run with them, the other side will be hinged. I’m just so used to seeing a clean look on it, the latches seem odd to me now even though it’s what I always planned on using....

0zhQx2A.jpg

• Like 7