steelies' box house

Steelies

oops bit late, yeah H1 calc is all about the buildings thermal envelope, you just add some better r value insulation to compensate for single glazing if required. (H1 requirements for insulation is easily achievable too btw) It's not like you have a shit load of glazing anyway.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In SHGWAG's defence, from BRANZ

"For designers to show compliance using the schedule method of 

NZS 4218: 2004 Energy efficiency – Small building envelope, 
they are now required to use double glazing in all the climate zones of 
New Zealand.
Because the Building Code is a performance-based rather than a 
prescriptive code, the use of double glazing cannot be made a mandatory 
requirement, but its use is recommended as the most cost effective solution 
to reduce heat loss through windows and the likelihood of condensation 
forming on the glass.
Designers choosing not to use double glazing will need to prove that 
the single glazing complies with the Building Code through the calculation 
method or the modelling method of NZS 4218, or by using the BPI 
method." 

Yeah was going to ask what is awning roof construction material?

calculation method is easy btw, with such little glazed area I'd say this will cruise in. Don't see the point in double glazing in most residential installs tbh (at  least coastally on the north island) - such a wasted cost. Plus it means you will need to open windows in summer or fry (or run an AC unit = use more energy)

I hear staining ply can be a bit iffy with it not staining evenly and causing blotches but apparently some prep and good stain product can overcome it.

A wood beard would be able to give you the right advice. 

Can talk to my old man about it he has done stained ply exteriors on 2-3 houses now. although roughsawn finish marine ply I think so maybe a little different.

I think the big one with the floor is getting the thing sanded up mint before the polyurethane. maybe a bit easier with ply vs. particle board type stuff though

Yeah was going to ask what is awning roof construction material?

calculation method is easy btw, with such little glazed area I'd say this will cruise in. Don't see the point in double glazing in most residential installs tbh (at  least coastally on the north island) - such a wasted cost. Plus it means you will need to open windows in summer or fry (or run an AC unit = use more energy)

Yeah, a bit late to the party Steve, previously covered.

I'm not a QS but you shouldn't be insulting Mike's profession - those in glasshouses and all ;)

Anywho - trying to be helpful to Manu, so he doesnt have a panic and think he needs double glazing.

Still keen to know what awning roof is made from, clear or shaded?

• Like 1

yeah keep your QS/etc shit, no disrespect but it rages me out

roof is coloursteel, probably green/grey. similar profile to container walls. might go for clear over the deck/verandah to let some valuable light in

yes double glazed from the get-go. i'm not that jammy

Tara, services will come through the floor and up through internal walls where needed. walls will be built on site. so basically, i have no real idea.

Roger, i wanted as much dirt there as possible for trees. also limited in driveway surface for drainage etc. also driveway opening width maximum without getting another consent for it. already have to call the garage a 'workshop' and may need to build a curb in front of it so it doesnt count as vehicle access or some such.

but yeah really i wanted to keep that pohutokawa and the other trees which are now gone. /replant

idea was to move as little dirt/trees as possible for the job. $$$ and aesthetic etc.

• Like 1