steelies' box house

Steelies

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but luckily i have a free powerline supervisor guy

Better be a good one.  Taking a swipe at a powerline is costly business too... not to mention dangerous.  I don't want to see OS'ers in our incident reports thank you.

You'll be able to bog up that dent, shame though as it looks sweet so far.

Post more pics!

ah geoff! i dug your number out to call you for advice for this, yeah 'free power dude guy' is a premature call really.

who's the best person to start at when going for the close approach permit?

yep expecting costs, tickets to be clipped as usual

yep gagging for more pics but delays give no new pics to put up.

waiting on crane quotes from Banks and Titan. banks are fucking around, titan will likely cost me my firstborn

Hi, Long time reader first time caller.

Cool stuff ive read so far.

Regarding the crane, why not block and tackle it into place? 

Get Royal Wolf to fit 2 large wooden beams fixed to the underside of the container, hiab it off on side, then drag it up your driveway, then jack it up and slide it onto its foundations/posts?

You could concrete in some posts now around the property to afix anchor points to.

I only ask as this is what we had to do shifting a 11 tonne injection moulding machine, 70 metres into a factory. I image a shipping container is lighter then that? 

Man hour cost < Crane cost

That will take forever/need a whole bunch of manpower/incurs a whole lot more damage risk/might not work due to position of house site vs grade and position of driveway/is the road wide enough to allow a truck to offload onto the ground in the right orientation (it'd have to be hauled up the drive longways, since it's not 40" wide.../would you get permission to close the road to allow such offloading to happen/is there a structural concern with pulling it around (since it has holes all cut in it, which compromises the rigidity), etc etc...

Crane is much simpler.

Also, crane.

Crane.

• Like 5

ah geoff! i dug your number out to call you for advice for this, yeah 'free power dude guy' is a premature call really.

who's the best person to start at when going for the close approach permit?

yep expecting costs, tickets to be clipped as usual

yep gagging for more pics but delays give no new pics to put up.

waiting on crane quotes from Banks and Titan. banks are fucking around, titan will likely cost me my firstborn

reckon it's a big chob to lift or would you get away with a good sized hiab? 

I know a joker down your ways that could probably do it if it's hiab-able into your site. 

Best dude to put you onto only handles 20footers sadly :( He did a lift and shift for old mate cubastreet a couple of years ago for pretty sweet coin. 

Close approach permit for the lines is usually a freebee.  It's less cost for us to give you the close approach than to sort shit out when your box is tangled up in our wires.

Cranes guys are usually all up with the play on these matters / or are a dodgy bunch that will fuck it up completely.

I'm sure cheygan (sp?) and I can meet all your electrical needs.

Could a container forklift not do the job?

MAY...be cheaper than a crane to get a truck to bring a forklift round to lift it in place...may be not suitable but its a thought.

It's the fact that the container would never get round the two 90ish degree corners which are about 20ft apart when the container is 40ft long.

The container would need to bend in the middle to do what you are suggesting so Manu is saying that the container needs to be lifted OVER the corners and power lines etc to get into place.

Or I'm sure we would have a series of logs as rollers then have a rolling it into place party and do it like the Egyptians. :D