Solid Engine & Gearbox mounts

bobdylan

I am after solid engine mounts and possibly gearbox mounts for my Silvertop AE82. If anyone runs solid mounts can they give me the real world PRO/CON of using them? Read a whole bunch on the net about chassis damage etc but most of it is just heard from a friend of a friends bothers half sisters pet dog etc etc.

Does anyone know the cert legailities around using them and also if anyone makes/sells them in NZ?

Thanks

HOLE LEE SHIT, I had an ae85/6 stock car that had steel box section engine/gearbox mounts, and shit me, it was horrid. Up in the revs, the vibs were so hard core you couldnt focus your eyes/feel your hands, arse, feet and your anus wanted to find a new home. NOT WORTH IT MAN, unless you like involuntarily shitting yourself.

• Like 5

depends on the power/torque level.  when things get up there you pretty much need a torque plate or solid mounts to transfer the load without being destroyed.  also depends on the driveline and type of gearbag. often its better to leave the gearbox mount flexible (esp if it is on the tailshaft housing) to preseve the transmission if the casting is a little delicate for loads in the wrong directions.

• Like 1

HOLE LEE SHIT, I had an ae85/6 stock car that had steel box section engine/gearbox mounts, and shit me, it was horrid. Up in the revs, the vibs were so hard core you couldnt focus your eyes/feel your hands, arse, feet and your anus wanted to find a new home. NOT WORTH IT MAN, unless you like involuntarily shitting yourself.

Thanks for that.

Will look into some poly ones then.

yes but with a little bit of flex..

99% of stockcars run solid mounted engines...

the harmonics of a straight 6 at 7000rpm is an odd feeling deep inside your loins...would not recommend it in a road car thats for sure..

those poly bushes would be the go alright.

My 1uz is all solid mounted including gearbox.

No problems at all, I thought it was going to terrible but you wouldn't even know. 1uzs are a smooth motor though and RWD config may help.

If you are going to drive it mostly on the road you'll want to rubber mount it.

https://www.mountshop.co.nz/

It will be a track day car which gets used on the road every once and a while, or when I want to impress the ladies.

Do they do Poly ones? Only thing i can find on the website is stock replacement ones.

I am after solid engine mounts and possibly gearbox mounts for my Silvertop AE82. 

Why? I'm starting to think you have found a website that lists random things you can do to a car, and are trying to tick them all off haha. You say you're wanting them, so surely you have a reason? You could probably have 20V mounts made of cheese offer enough support against all the torques you'll ever find. I run factory ones in my AE111 and i've never once thought they needed to be solid. So I am keen to hear your reasoning. I just can't think of any good reason for a car used on the road, but that's just me. Not Hating.

• Like 1

see your point, however will point out bfmr is fine too

nice little bit of nhv, nice and simple to build for plebs, nice and simple engine removal and installation.

only ever done it as needing to build mounts anyway and it seemed simple/solve tight clearance problems/never had a problem/keep doing it.

more cylinders= not as bad. a v8 with solid mounts is not that bad for vibes.

a poly engine mount is quite stiff, and quite often if a bonded type, ie the poly is bonded to the 2 steel plates, they break easily.

this way of mounting engines is one of my pet hates/causes me to facepalm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/mazda/engines/auction-661940362.htm

so any movement in the mount flogs out the holes where the bolt goes thru, or at least makes it come loose

• Like 1