Have you run octane booster before?

KKtrips

Anyone have real life experience with octane booster to help cure detonation?

Car is tuned perfectly but with timing set at TDC yet it still detonates on throttle mash above cruising revs.

Not after problem diagnosis just your experiences with octane booster and what brand worked.

Cheers.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have an AE101 Levin, 20v 4age.

It would detonate on anything except 98 so i experimented with NOS brand octane booster when I wanted to doort and only had 95 handy.

Audible detonation went away after getting jiggy with the octane booster.

• Like 2

Used it in a worked 4k KP, didn't really help that much. Detonation went away but returned intermittently even if I hadn't finished the tank of gas that I had added it to. I used that NOS stuff, or may have been wynns? Tuned car correctly about 2 months later and ran it on 95 sweet as. Worn distributor drive gear was the problem in the end.

• Like 1

You can bump your effective octane rating up a notch by adding 10% meths to the tankful - I used this regularly in my first Alfa when we shifted over the hill, as there's nothing but 95 close by.

It also helped that I had a bulk source of meths.

You'd need to fatten your mixture up a bit though...

I've used the fuel system cleaner / octane booster before and it seems to do the trick, but can get spendy for an everyday use thing.

I think it was this one.

OBC-small.jpg

At V8 fuel volumes you'd need a drum of it...

PSO-4-medium.jpg

Just fix the underlying mechanical problem which causes the detonation :P

Do you have Gull 98 E10 where you live? I'd give that a shot if you do as the ethanol in it is less prone to det than normal petrol.

I've got a 4agze which are prone to pulling a shit tone of timing out at 5500rpm onwards if they detect knock (seems to be more common on ae101s). it's an instant loss of power you can really notice. I only run it on E10 as it's the only fuel that it runs on properly and pulls like a champ above 5500 now.

Had an old carby/points Corona that pinged like mad on 95, E10 solved that too and ran much nicer

I wouldn't put E10 fuel in anything with a carb. It absorbs moisture and eats rubber.

There are a lot of myths around about Ethanol, don't beleive everything you read on the internet eh.

Never had a problem myself and I also run it in an 80s motorbike with vacuum hose for fuel line which is still in one peice..

• Like 1

If you have water in your tank you're fucked to start with tbh.

It will absorb moisture, yes, but it then gets burnt off by the engine anyway and won't harm anything.

E10 is all I've ran in the Gemini since last sept with factory carb fuel lines as the return and factory fuel tank. It also sat for a few months outside during winter while I built and swapped in another engine.

• Like 1