Garages with Hoists...

Rookie

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

vsd can be used to switch single to three phase probably cost less than getting three phase hooked in.

blow using just 100mm for a 2 post unless you have heaps of reinforcing  and have had the hardness increased on your concrete.

digging a footing and casting a big plate in there with the bolts sticking up would be the go.

shit if it goes wrong probably only one end of the car would stove the ground?

vsd can be used to switch single to three phase probably cost less than getting three phase hooked in.

blow using just 100mm for a 2 post unless you have heaps of reinforcing  and have had the hardness increased on your concrete.

digging a footing and casting a big plate in there with the bolts sticking up would be the go.

shit if it goes wrong probably only one end of the car would stove the ground?

It's all about how you spread the load though. Your house weighs many, many tonnes, yet is supported quite happily on a 100mm slab, because the weight is dispersed throughout the edge.

We do robotic installs where a robot needs to be anchored down to a massively thick slab, but you can work with a thinner slab if you spread the load out. If you're using a 100mm slab you simply need to make up some arms to spread the load wider to gain back the margin lost through having a thinner slab.

yeah well its not just punching shear i'd worry about as i'm guessing your car probably doesn't have a 50:50 weight split and get centred over its point of balance every time it goes up.

you may well find you dramatically increase the punch shear on one set of bolts and literally be torqueing the other set out if the car goes up a bit to far forward or back of its centre of balance.

if in doubt go big and as they said spread the load.

chap I know was a serviceman and certifier of these things in garages also did work for insurance companies for liability claims when dodgy installs went wrong, heard countless horror stories

• Like 1

It's all about how you spread the load though. Your house weighs many, many tonnes, yet is supported quite happily on a 100mm slab, because the weight is dispersed throughout the edge.

We do robotic installs where a robot needs to be anchored down to a massively thick slab, but you can work with a thinner slab if you spread the load out. If you're using a 100mm slab you simply need to make up some arms to spread the load wider to gain back the margin lost through having a thinner slab.

concur but we got piles chap, house our size 90sq is just on 15 odd tonne (mate is a house mover)

yeah well its not just punching shear i'd worry about as i'm guessing your car probably doesn't have a 50:50 weight split and get centred over its point of balance every time it goes up.

you may well find you dramatically increase the punch shear on one set of bolts and literally be torqueing the other set out if the car goes up a bit to far forward or back of its centre of balance.

if in doubt go big and as they said spread the load.

chap I know was a serviceman and certifier of these things in garages also did work for insurance companies for liability claims when dodgy installs went wrong, heard countless horror stories

Good thing it isn't your job to worry about it then.

Concrete is cheap go nice and thick, go about 300mm thick under the bolts ( 2m x 2m x 200mm thick less than a cube extra ) and dont want them going rusty from being in the dirt under you slab.

You only have to look at the minimum thickness for something like c6 to see how much you need when setting the bolts

c6 says 90mm minimum for an m10 stud set and I guarantee your 2 post hoist isnt held down with 12 of them.

c6 epcon

m10 = 90mm

m12 = 110mm

m16 = 125mm

m20 = 170mm

m24 = 210mm

Otherwise you wont want to be anywhere near it for half an earthquake and we have had one lately.

Hate to be a dead dude for the sake of 250 bucks worth of concrete

Most houses i've seen have much thicker foundations around the edge where most of the weight is supported though. Any weight within the edge is supported over large areas. With the cost of concrete ($190+/m3 last time I got some). I'd sooner put a bit more under the hoist area than have spreaders on the top as an alternative. If you already have a slab down, then obviously that's not going to be an option.

All comes down to personal choice I guess. I dug out a car park area and poured a ring foundation of 100-150mm depth around it. Then had a 100mm slab and meshed the whole lot. You didn't used to even have to use mesh in floor slabs down here. Which is likely why half of the quake damaged houses just cracked in half. 

I'm sure the hoist would be fine on 100mm with the right reinforcing. But for the minimal extra cost, I just don't see the point. Small cost in the big picture.