Garages with Hoists...

Rookie

Concur - also re drainage whats your driveway incline like? it might be worthwhile getting a channel drain put in front of the roller door - makes it wasy to wash out garage that way too - could plumb the garage floor drain and the channel to a soak pit before discharge to stormwater - gives you a bit of a buffer for heavy downpours/washing down etc

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an old molnar mk2 2post hoist which says in specs 100mm minimum slab.  not clear floor tho, so loading more spread out. 

3 phase definitely handy in the shed.  most larger machinery use it.  If wired up already, then more options when buying machinery.  2nd hand 3phase welders are often cheaper too.

electric winch mounted to the concrete against the rear wall would be a sweet idea for when you have a shitty old car ...

^this is a good idea.  I once had a house at the top of a hill and the driveway was up into it.  Always paranoid that if something shit itself I'd never actually get it into the shed to fix it.

Was not a pushing car spec driveway / stupid Wellington. 

• 3 weeks later...

Back to the floor slab, thickness will depend on the reinforcing, concrete strength and proposed loads you want to place on it.

Currently building a warehouse, 180mm thick / 30MPa & SE92 mesh from memory. (Designed for 4t of racking + forklift loads)

Where any loads other than general racking are being applied, we've added 120mm of thickening 150mm wider than each item we're supporting.

May be overkill here, but personally I'd go for a 200mm thickening with cast in hold down bolts.

Way better than drilling and epoxying into after the slab pour.

Surely there's enough engineers on this forum to come up with a cost effective strong solution.

• 1 month later...

^this is a good idea.  I once had a house at the top of a hill and the driveway was up into it.  Always paranoid that if something shit itself I'd never actually get it into the shed to fix it.

Was not a pushing car spec driveway / stupid Wellington. 

this........

going to rig something in my shed , iv got a slight incline in front of shed, pushing a non going 4wd subaru up a gravel ramp into the shed and onto the hoist is not winning/easy.....