TOMSTAMENT'S ULTIMATE CARPI

0R10N

Dude, to fit those tubs you have to cut like 7/8th of the chassis rail away according to the photo you showed me, and to make the coilover bar fit you will need to get tricky, and then you want to c notch the chassis rail as well.

All of that is working with shitty factory sheet metal that will make your balls ache, especially if you want it to look half way decent.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, to fit those tubs you have to cut like 7/8th of the chassis rail away according to the photo you showed me, and to make the coilover bar fit you will need to get tricky, and then you want to c notch the chassis rail as well.

All of that is working with shitty factory sheet metal that will make your balls ache, especially if you want it to look half way decent.

its only the part way behind the axle though and I have a plan for the coilover bar. the chassis rails are actually relatively thick - thicker than I was expecting. yet to be seen how they will take a weld though.

what is your reason for using a toyota diff? just availablness?  Do these have an 8.8 or is that only mustangs

8.8's only came in the later cars post 85 or 87 or something like that. also the fox body 8.8s have ears cast into the center section for the top suspension bushes so you cant use an explorer one as it doesnt have those and welding onto the cast centre section would suck.  the cost of importing a mustang 8.8 then putting axles etc. in it was quite a bit more than going hilux. then ford 9 inch was even more again. I figure Im going to be doing damn well to break 30spline hilux axles with new 3.73 gears and a v6/e-locker 3rd member and carrier.

• Like 1

its only the part way behind the axle though and I have a plan for the coilover bar. the chassis rails are actually relatively thick - thicker than I was expecting. yet to be seen how they will take a weld though.

8.8's only came in the later cars post 85 or 87 or something like that. also the fox body 8.8s have ears cast into the center section for the top suspension bushes so you cant use an explorer one as it doesnt have those and welding onto the cast centre section would suck.  the cost of importing a mustang 8.8 then putting axles etc. in it was quite a bit more than going hilux. then ford 9 inch was even more again. I figure Im going to be doing damn well to break 30spline hilux axles with new 3.73 gears and a v6/e-locker 3rd member and carrier.

Have I told you I know a guy with an 8.8?

Edit: Never mind, it's IRS.

• 4 months later...

yeah it has the cheet sheet but its taken a bunch of experimenting to get the hang of it really that put me wrong a few times, acts a bit different to transformer types esp when filling holes in thin stuff. thick stuff 3mm and up though it is great as much power as you dare and then there is still much much more available.

biggest complaint though is the nozzle seems a bit loose? like in tight sometimes if you touch it on the workpiece or can kick it over and it touch the tip then it can arc out the side rather than through the wire and the the world is not good......

need to get a few consumables and couple of spare helmet visor cover thingies too actually.

Yeh, I hear ya, after using a $6K transformer mig, there is a bit to learn, but for the most part I find mine pretty user friendly/doesn't have a million features to confuse me. The loose nozzle is a bit dickish, and you have to have it forward of where it looks like it should be, so you don't melt tips, bit of a design flaw.

Mind you, I had mine set for 8mm plate yezday, and did the prettiest/bestest weld of my armature welding career, was well pleased.

Also, keep up the good work on the crappie. 

Regards, VG.

xoxoxoxoxox

• 3 weeks later...

Oh lol, yeah Greg/64valiantbademmissionsguy  showed me a screenshot he had taken of that couple of weeks ago but we couldnt find the post on facebook

baby mustang beeeeoooooooooo  its exactly the same car just a different front bumper/hood/wheelarchflares/rear lights

should try to join the mustang club when I get it running see if they let it in now :lol:

• Like 2