SM - SN oil spec upgrade - oldschoolers beware

shandawg

Just a quick public service announcement:

Now that API SN oil is hitting the shelves, us with old pushrod type engines could have a bit of fun if we inadvertently put the two together.

SN oils are not permitted to contain more than 800 ppm (parts per million) of zinc. This isn't a problem for newer ohc engines or pushrod engines with roller lifters but engines with flat tappets there will be trouble. We have seen cams chew out in under 1000 km.

Most engine oils rated SM or earlier should still be ok.

I have a couple of products that perform really well in older V8s, sixes, ford fours and other pushrod engines. Feel free to pm me if you're after more info

I've found the detergents amazing in petrol engines, I run diesel oil in all the cars I've brought that have been neglected. Combining that with 5,000Km services and engine flush and I have cleaned the shit out of my engines... No negative side effects to date. Never had any mechanical failures...

engine flush

I thought that shiz caused more problems potentially than it solved... myth too? I just imagine chucks of dry crusty shit floating around :? I may be getting a badly neglected engine soon though that will need a clean out. So just seeing what options are out there.

Diesel oil is mint in petrol engines, but like people have seid, there are different detergents in it and it will hypa clean things so always best to half the service period for the first lot as it will clog filter fairly fast.

We use diesel oil for alot of race engines and jet boat engines for customers.

even though there are the SN series now most manufacturers will have some kind of alternative that contains zinc in a heavier weight, ie 25w50 or somthing and call it "race oil" or some shit.

Total has now released "POWER 50" 25w50 that contains zinc for the older engines.

You can also get zinc additive, but im unsure how well it works as of yet.

PS Penrites crap, i wouldnt even grease my doors with that stuff.

Just use diesel oils

As long as they are pre SN they should be ok pays to look at the data sheet

Penrite SN oils will do the same as any other to a pushrod engine

Sn is a petrol rating, diesel should be a cg-4 type of rating.

He is just saying Penrite have oil specially for old cars, I am using Elf 20w50 nowdays still SD rated.

Pretty much all oils nowadays will have both a petrol rating and a diesel rating.

The S stands for spark ignition (petrol) the C stands for compression ignition (diesel), the letter after is the spec level hence the current transition from SM to SN.

If a diesel oil is rated CI-4/SL it should be ok to run in an early petrol engine being SL. The latest API Diesel spec is CJ-4 which are usually SM rated for petrol so should still be ok (still pays to check zinc PPM). Always refer to the "S" rating for petrol and the "C" rating for diesel.

Total have a SG 20W50, a CI-4/SL 15W40 and a CF/SJ 15W40, and a new product Power 50 25W50 as caboonatlarge states which has a very high zinc level around 1500PPM.

engine flush

I thought that shiz caused more problems potentially than it solved... myth too? I just imagine chucks of dry crusty shit floating around :? I may be getting a badly neglected engine soon though that will need a clean out. So just seeing what options are out there.

I didn't use diesel oil, but flushing an old engine I used to have seemed to wash away all the debris that was holding the seals together. Oil consumption increased dramatically forever after. May give it a go in the current engine though :lol:

as I've said heaps of times, Moreys has heaps of ZDDP in it and is good shit. Otherwise sometimes you can find old stock that is still SG or even SD rated. It's more of an issue for engines with flat tappets/mechanical lifters/solid valvetrain

Sorry to Spam but this general disregard for engine flush doesn't make sense in my head...

When you drain the oil you are draining the flush, you are also draining the varnish and carbon it cleans.

The pick up screen stops any of this being picked up again and recycled. I have actually reduced oil consumption on engines from my servicing methods and I believe this is because the varnish is being slowly cleaned out allowing mechanical objects to do there job properly again...

I use this shit daily. And have never seen a negative side effect. I mean I've seen engine sumps filled with petrol / kerosene and anything to clean the scunge out has to be good for an engine in the long run...

My thoughts. But i'm not Jesus so don't take it as Gospel.

engine flush

Yah, but you only run it for 15 odd minutes then drain it out and replace the filter. If that shit is floating around, it has nowhere to go but the filter.

Edit: I see Keegan said pretty much the same thing