Rookie's Velobike Build

Rookie

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

multi v sounds like a good plan then.

my a section belt is slippryer than a bowl of eel soup even though its tigher than a nuns. was guna goto hamahardware today and buy some crc belt stop slip and see if that helps but its raining

multi v sounds like a good plan then.

my a section belt is slippryer than a bowl of eel soup even though its tigher than a nuns. was guna goto hamahardware today and buy some crc belt stop slip and see if that helps but its raining

nah crc belt slip couldnt handle when i tried it. A sections are shit. cambelts are where its at.

kirk, before you change to serp/cambelt, try running it randomdrive style (twisted),

we got 100% better traction in the mud that way, the downside?, through some

voodoo math magic, the belt ends up slightly longer this way and may end up

outside of your tensioner.

in hindsight, why we ever used a-section is beyond me.

i used a section cos thats what saeco sold me/told me to buy. My belt dont seem to want to twist like yours.

its ok, dont slip too bad. Its good cos it means i don't go too fast, can only use 2/3 throttle haha. gota solve terrible handling before i go for more speed

• 5 weeks later...

rookie rookie rookie

hi

i was having box issues (lol) on the ariel, topped it up with gear oil

then decided to check what they actually need. a light grease/oil mix! i did not know this. explains the grease nipple additional to oil filler hole tho. some of the old ones rolled straight up grease and wont have seals to cope with oil, possibly why yours pisses its contents out at such a sweet rate? other than being haggard. expecting a massive puddle in my garage now.

I recently found it out after playing with the albion boxes in the garage and doing research, but have been too lazy to try it. Apparently 50/50 mix of old school spec grease and 90 wt gearbox oil is the go. Pretty much the same for all old British boxes. Apparently though if it can't hold the oil component of the mix for a week it's time for a rebuild.

nice. my box is a burman, heres a little info that seems to be relevant to my issues..

The burman gearbox has no sprung loaded stops for the gears as modern gearboxes now have. This

means the gears are kept in position by the selector forks only. If there is misalignment or wear on the

three shafts or gear bushes, the gears put pressure on the selector forks. Burring and burning, mainly on

the forks occurs and the gears lock mid-selection. This has happened to my gearbox. It works okay when

unloaded, but when you put my (heavy) weight onto it, it locks.

In the earlier models, pre-1953, a heavy oil and grease mix is recommended. The heavy mix should help

keep the gears in place once selected better than a lighter viscosity oil. Avoid using gearbox oil. I've been

told that it polishes and further hardens the surface-hardened gears, shafts and selectors increasing

wear.

not sure what make of box you're running rookie but it/the albions may share similar design shortcomings.

apparently the burmans pre '48 were grease lubed, then they put better seals in and were able to hold a grease oil mix.

might drain my mystery mix and put a fresh mix in. would be so lush if i can get it to shift one gear, instead of one and a half!

anyone know about compatibility of greases and oils?

I was going to say there are probably greases out there now which do the job of clinging to the parts where grease normally would, and splash lubricating where the oil would normally hang out, but that may be expensive.

Ideally we want to know if mixing wheel bearing(cheapest?) grease and some ep90 yeah?

I have some kicking around here, so I'll whip up a batch to see what I can blend, and report back.