ja1lb8's 38 Chev

Dell'orto

Just going with the factory auto for now as im tryna keep to a budget.

Theres quite a few behind big hp supras with minimal mods and they seem to hold up to the punishment

Guess ill have to get a controller for it tho, bout $800 for one thats suitible

Ive seen 3 other manual conversions on these now and theyve all spent about 6k to do it

Bell housing/adaptor plate, Flywheel, clutch and hydraulic release bearing and buying a gearbox and as yet i havnt seen any of them going so hard to tell how well there setups going to work

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah this one is already setup with a 5spd auto - just figuring out how to control it.

Been looking around at stock toyota autos with a seperate auto ecu. I wire one up for a 7mgte supra a year or two back which seemed to work but finding on with a 5spd box is a pain. What controller will you be using? Havent really looked into aftermarket auto ecu's yet.

Could just use it as a manually shifted auto?

Find out which solenoid bleeds off line pressure and leave that one alone ( so its at max pressure all the time.. good) and then wire the inhibitor switch and OD button on the shifter to operate the solenoids directly.

Different kettle of fish entirely i know- and only a 4speed auto box- but i did this to my nissan safari and it worked very well.

It would not take a genius to then build a circuit to switch the solenoids through the correct sequence using just two buttons (paddle shifter or buttons on steering wheel). You'd just have to move the shifter manually to enter park and reverse.

Just throwing ideas around.

Yeah this one is already setup with a 5spd auto - just figuring out how to control it.

Whats that trans off? Mines the factory 30-42le similar to the factory uz and 2j auto boxes but have herd rumours that the v12 one has has bigger/more clutch packs to handle the tourque. Not a rumour tho is that the v12 cuts 4 cylinders between gearchanges to make it smoother and reduce load

Find out which solenoid bleeds off line pressure and leave that one alone ( so its at max pressure all the time.. good) and then wire the inhibitor switch and OD button on the shifter to operate the solenoids directly.

This stops the clutch packs disingaging at all so theres no chance of them wearing out but is does put a big shock loading on the rest of the box and would probably be pretty rough to drive

Did a quick google search for controllers and 5 different comanies show up without even trying so im guessing itll be easy enougn to get something that works , at what price i dont know

On a side not 04 onwards toyota centurys come out with a 6speed, father in laws got a LS430 lexus about 06 model i think and its got a 6 speed so my bet is I could get a 6 speed auto for cheap off someone thats got a 3uz half cut and itd bolt strait on no worries

putting the line pressure at 100% full time does not stop the clutch packs disengaging. The other solenoids divert this line pressure to engage or disengage your clutch packs. You are right, would be a bit rougher to drive- but easy to feed a manual throttle dependant signal to this solenoid if you want to make it more cushy... You may find that in order to stop clutch slip with those turbos you will need full line pressure as soon as you come on boost (but even at low throttle positions)

Line pressure is entirely dependent on engine load usually- line pressure only reduces at partial throttle to make shifts more comfortable and line pressure is increased as throttle is applied to stop the clutch packs from slipping.

Gears change at WOT with full and constant line pressure. They have to otherwise the clutch packs would smoke themselfs.

That is unless the new 5 speed boxes operate in an entirely different way to the older toyota boxes as found on mk4 supras etc.. which is possible.

Have you considered one of the older toyota 4spd boxes? they may have manual valve bodies available and more information around about their modification - i know there is DIY info on raising the line pressure via drilling restrictor holes and shimming accumulators to help them handle more power in drag racing situations etc etc.

Hopefully not telling you how to suck eggs, just trying to be helpful in showing that there are ways without spending huge money on a controller.

Its a very random trans - we think from a late model landcruiser. TOYODIY tells us it doesn't exist.

I'm a bit of a novice with auto trans setups so will have to do some reading to understand it all.

I like the idea of creating a circuit to control the shifts with buttons, prob a bit tricky to incorporate into 40's era interior but hey, there's harder problems to sort on the truck anyway so add it to the list :)

very cool.

People make auto transmissions out to be much more complex than than they really are. When you break it down and look at how they work its all actually very simple.

The biggest hurdle would be working out which solenoid does what- and which combination of clutch pack solenoid energizing will give which gear. I'm guessing a 5 speed will have one extra solenoid to control the selected gear than your more common 4 speed (which has just two usually)

I'm rambling, sorry. Kinda passionate about these things.. dunno why.

Longtime bro, was just talking to signal on anzac day, What you got rolling round in the garage these days?

Just been on a mission to put my exhaust in then gunna turn the chassis up the rite way and put the motor back in so do the dump pipe and all that

How much is that bare chassis going to weigh at the end of all the fabrication??

No idea, its not that heavy , i picked it up and turned it over by hand and lifted/dragged it round my shed this arvo with the diff and exhausts and driveshaft in it

That blue box sections about 2.5mm thick

What is surprisingly heavy is those exhaust pipes ,mainly the orange mufflers

oh and the turbos , ill have to bust out the scales just out of interest but id say easy 30kgs a side with all that cast iron in them

which really isnt gunna help the handling at all. Itd be easiest just to chuck a big single on each side and probably weigh less too but wheres the fun in that

and it sounds way more impressive to have 4 turbos.

• 2 weeks later...

Mmmmm Fresh - love the concept.

Even the die hard v8 boys will be giving this bbq ribs and sushi fusion the thumbs up.

Is there an overall look in mind.....rat rod would be cool.

Keep up the good work we're watching and are psyched