Anglia4's CB650

anglia4

Well I made it to Hororata and even made it back!

My external oil flow meter (the size of the puddle on my boot) says that the oil leak is now quite severe, as the patch has spread from just being on my toes to being spread right up the shin of the boot and all the way down the side of the bike. I think it might need a new head gasket. Still runs good, just covers my leg in oil haha

I also had a bit of a balls up, bought some new/really old race leathers at the swap meet, in all my excitement I put them on to wear home and threw my gear in a mates van... along with my keys :doubt: ... Luckily there was plenty of tools at the swap meet so I hotwired it :lol:

Scored some nice megaphones for it too.

The lads have been trying to convince me to buy another bike of considerable awesomeness that was for sale at the swap meet. So if anyone wants it, they can have the CB for $3k (negotiable) with fresh reg and wof so long as I can still buy said awesome bike.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man the bike is looking awesome, well done Jeff. I particularly like the new headlight and the tail, does the tail have any padding or are you just riding it hard arsed? Are you planning to fit a rear mudguard or just leave as is? Did you have any trouble with the sideways plate and the warrant man?.

It'd be a shame to sell this after all the work you've put into it, especially unfinished... but that other bike you're loooking at is pretty awesome!

I'm just going to leave it as is aye. a mud guard would ruin it.

WOF man didn't care about the sideways plate.

Its got a 10mm thick layer of yoga mat on the seat. Makes it look heaps tidier and makes it just bareable to ride.

It was close to an hours riding to get to Hororata, I noticed myself getting a sore muscle in my back from the jarring on the way back, but that has been an on-going problem, so for normal people it would be fine to ride.

• 2 months later...

This update is mostly just because after about 6 weeks apart I'm happy to have my cb back in my life.

I rode it to work the other day, frickin loved it.

Sadly though, from being tied in the trailer for nearly a week the fork seals have blown out. I was going to replace them this summer anyway so not such a big deal.

I've ordered a new gasket set and a haynes manual. Going to order some more brake seals and fork seals and brake pads and bits and pieces this week.

I'm planning to ride it once or twice more this week and then strip it down for a bit of a restoration. Not going to go too far into the engine etc, just replace some key gaskets and seals to stop it all from leaking.

Deadline is 28 feb to have it back on the road...

• 4 weeks later...

over the past week or so I have started pulling the bike to bits.

I've stripped down the forks and front caliper for rebuilds and painting.

I've got new seals for the forks but still have to track down a rebuild kit for the caliper.

I also ripped out the old airbox and rear mudguard etc.

I got an old leather case from the swapmeet a few months back that I'm going to use as a battery box.

Since my fabrication skills aren't crash hot, I thought I better use the skills I do have to make it a bit easier, so I cranked up the solidworks sheet metal tool and designed a tray to go in the leather case. Folded it up today and I'm totally stoked with how it came out, fits snug as. It also has mounting tags folded into it for the indicator flasher and starter sollenoid.

I also got some pod filters, they are a bit big but look like they should be ok.

I picked up some GS side covers a while back before I was going to use the pods. Can't decide which looks better, GS side covers or open. I like the idea of it being open but like the look of the side covers. Thoughts?

Also my new levers arrived, and once again, don't really fit nicely with my flatbars and forks. So i've ordered some clip ons and will mill the handlebar mounts off the tripple tree when I get it so I'm happy with it. That will also allow me to pull the forks through a little bit :)

Pics - Enjoy (sorry for quality, lost my camera today... but then found it again...)

IMG405_zps0265c33e.jpg

IMG406_zpsa3d98983.jpg

IMG408_zps06718ad8.jpg

IMG410_zps65142e42.jpg

IMG416_zps117f3338.jpg

IMG414_zpsb1abe26a.jpg

IMG412_zps922a7178.jpg

IMG417_zps502d998d.jpg

All finished and welded. Proud to say, start to finish I have made that part 100% on my own.

IMG419_zps38a9b25d.jpg

Now I just have to make the bracket on the frame for it. Have borrowed some 3/8" pipe from work to make a couple of rails to go across the frame and then will put a small platform across them to sit the battery tray/leather case on. Stay tuned while I fuck up a perfectly good CB650 frame. Not sure how yet, but I'm sure I'll fuck something up. Already have to weld up a cut where I went a little far with the grinder...