240z engine swap time!

mikey

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hah yeah, I could be a little biased. I haven't heard many N/A VQs but my mate has a VQ30DET it sounds alright but not a good as a straight 6.

That's not really a bad price, you wouldn't get a RB26 + rear drive box for much under that, if at all.

Does that come with the factory computer & loom etc? From memory if you are going to run the standard computer you'll need the ignition barrel and all that jazz. You'll probably need to pay GST on that as well?

Yep that sounds good (but how short and fat that car looks- not a touch on the looks of an early Z car)

I like the sound of a nice straight 6 but most RB's about sound like tractors unless revved hard.

I love the sound of V6's. My brothers old 2.8 colonge V6 sounded awesome and even Dads old V6 Vitara induction sound is wicked when driven hard.

Thats not toooooo bad i guess. I paid 3k for my engine and gearbox not including ECU or clutch or any ancillaries. So if your getting the whole shebang for that price ready to drop in. Its not too bad.

The ad says it has everything, but i asked in my email whether it explicitly had all the stuff i need and the didnt answer that question. From the pics it event has mounts with isolators and ac pump.

That's not really a bad price, you wouldn't get a RB26 + rear drive box for much under that, if at all.

Yeah, thats what ive been comparing it to as well.

Does that come with the factory computer & loom etc? From memory if you are going to run the standard computer you'll need the ignition barrel and all that jazz. You'll probably need to pay GST on that as well?

Yeah comes with loom and ecu, i asked them about bcm and key etc but that was one of the questions they missed.

Im really hoping i dont have to pay gst. Things ive had airfreighted in before ive paid gst on, but things thatve been shipped ive been lucky with. Hope for the best i guess.

Ill get em to answer my other questions properly and if it comes with everything then ill go ahead i guess.

Well you're comparing an engine that started production in the '60s that started off with 140hp to one that came around 30 years later with 300+. I don't think any even slightly worked L series engine would really ever be considered refined. I'll probably never forget the ride that I had in Vaughn's (classicdat) L28 carbed 260Z race car though, the sound it made, the smell of petrol, it was pretty awesome.

From what I've read its pretty damn hard to get even close to 300hp out of an L24, and it costs big money.

But I totally agree with the sentiment. If I could could get the performance I want from the current engine I probably would stick with it.

I guess its just not the route I wanna take. And I don't need to have too much sympathy for the car as there's probably thousands of them still on the road.

Id keep hold of the original engine once you have one the conversion if I were you. the whole matching numbers thing could become valuable in the future.

sounds like a sweet conversion though and I will be watching with interest, good luck.