240z engine swap time!

mikey

Righto, I've been weighing up engine conversions for the 240z and shit's getting serious. I want to start the swap in April.

I think I've settled on a VQ35DE with 6 speed transmission from a 350z if I can afford one. Dodsons said they _never_ come across them and have to import them at around $9k. Nisbits say they could import them at around $5k but I don't think they're boverd.

With the US peso being what it is. There's one I can get shipped over with everything I need for a little over $4k.

Other options were RB26DETT and SR20DET.

So far VQ wins cos it's lighter than my current set up, NA, 300HP, will fit behind my strut towers, I don't have to piss about with intercooler shizz and comes with a 2wd 6 speed. Bad points are that it's harder to get more than 300HP out of it than the others, and harder to find.

Please tell me if I'm doing it wrong.

This is the one I'm looking at

eng.jpg

This is what it'll look like but red-er

DSC_0191Medium-custom-size-650-536.JPG

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it.

How would you go about shipping with the one from the states?

The store ships here so it's just a matter of paying up. I'm getting a proper quote from them now.

Have you had a look on yahoo?

Good idea, no I haven't, I've just done ebay.

Also, is there actually much difference between the front and rear drive motors apart from the intake manifolds? You can get a front drive VQ35 pretty cheap.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/nissan/engines/auction-448421283.htm

Apparently the mount points are different and the 350z version is a little more powerful. So not really very different at all, but will it be easier starting with an engine designed to be RWD? Also, I'd want the 6 speed box with it and figure it's easier to get the engine with the box.

As a side note, I heard the auto transmission computer is built into the ECU so swapping a manual box on to an auto could be tricky. Not to mention getting fly wheel, clutch etc.

rb30de with itb's

just saying

^^^ This is totally an option, I was thinking RB26 with ITB's for a while, but it's still heavier by far (iron block), a long engine, and less power. But it'd sound boss for sure. And be the same format as the L24 although the VQ is still from the Z lineage at least (bit of a stretch that one).

With a bit more compression and the right cams an N/A RB26 would be getting pretty close in power to a VQ35. Pretty sure Rocky Auto reckon their N/A RB30 builds are over 300hp and the RB will rev higher too.

Yeah, but if I spent the same money on modding the VQ which starts at 300HP then I'm still ahead right? And it's lighter etc.

And getting the RB26 to work means custom sump and different gearbox of course. But if I go the VQ route then I'd be getting 300HP stock, which is how I plan to do it at first. Then look at mods further down the line if I think I need them.

With a bit more compression and the right cams an N/A RB26 would be getting pretty close in power to a VQ35. Pretty sure Rocky Auto reckon their N/A RB30 builds are over 300hp and the RB will rev higher too.

Yeah, but if I spent the same money on modding the VQ which starts at 300HP then I'm still ahead right? And it's lighter etc.

And getting the RB26 to work means custom sump and different gearbox of course. But if I go the VQ route then I'd be getting 300HP stock, which is how I plan to do it at first. Then look at mods further down the line if I think I need them.

If you've seen how he's had to do the engine mounts on that blue 240Z I think modifying an RB sump would be the least of your worries, I would definitely talk to a certifier first about what you can do with mounting it as it's going to sit well behind the factory cross member. It's going to be an awesome project! Just try and get as new an engine and gearbox as you can, from what I've read the early 6 speeds had some problems.

I would definitely talk to a certifier first about what you can do with mounting it as it's going to sit well behind the factory cross member. It's going to be an awesome project! Just try and get as new an engine and gearbox as you can, from what I've read the early 6 speeds had some problems.

Roger that. BTW I was surprised with some of the stuff your cert man came up with, nothing major, but surprising nonetheless. What letter did you need for the mounts? I didn't think they were too fussy about welding on engine mounts?

Yeah I heard some of the early ones had issues. This one apparently has under 50k on it but I'm not sure of the year. I'll double check.