Eagle, top gun and other 'fancy' leads- are they a scam?

yoeddynz

My old 12A leads need replacing before I start mucking about changing plug heat ranges. (see my Viva thread)

I know my dizzy is good, the coils are good (but I'll double check them again) but the leads are just old ones that a mate gave me ages ago.

A while back I was about to buy a set of top gun leads when a autosparky friend who races a series 3 rx7 in the pro7 class told me to just get some Bosch leads as the actual carbon core is no bigger on the posh leads, just the insulation is thicker. Is this true?

What should one look for with buying leads and has anyone got good experience with any brands? Is it just a bit of a scam- all these big 10mm leads etc?

I may also look into changing the leading coil for a 2nd gen rx7 setup in the future but for now I just want the stock setup to be in good order.

They are mostly just more insulation, even the 10.5mm leads. Eagle ones from Repco/Appco are good, I have some on my Skyline. I got some made for the Z by Canterbury Auto Electric who reckoned his leads were better than the Eagle ones.

Eagle, Top Gun and Bosch are all good brands.

Don't get the red Repco ones, they're crap.

But repco sells eagle leads? If you mean the Champion leads repco also stocks, they're just as good as the eagle ones, however red, instead of blue.

Alex, hook me up with some lengths, and what style ends you'd like, and i'll sort it out for ya :)

I'll have a look, take some measurements and get back to ya Zac. My coil leads are a bit longer than standard rx7 ones as the coils are mounted further away.

So if the insulation is the main difference then how do companies claim such great things of their products? I imagine resistance doesnt make fuck all difference when it comes to a 20,000 volt jolt?

Standard rule for checking leads is that anything above 8kOhm per 300mm of lead means its buggered. Less resistance does in theory mean a bigger spark at your plug... But the ratio of lead resistance (any lead within tolerance that is) to the resistance of the air gap of the spark plug tip means almost all of the voltage drop is at the tip of the plug, hence the location of your spark.

I've heard it said, and I tend to agree that if your ignition system is working properly, I.e: no misses, or sparks jumping where they shouldnt be, everything on time, etc... Then upgrading to fancier components will net you exactly zero performance gain. Might gain some longevity however :)

But come on, nothing is sweeter than a nice set of colour coded leads... Ive got a roll of 9mm blue eagle lead sitting here to make the leads for my mini, coz sick leads mean it will pull bettar driftzzzzz (and I'm a tard).

Aren't there some form of leads that have a coil wrapped around the center conductor to create some more inductance? Coz CDI creates a massive but very short duration spark, so the leads are designed to lengthen the spark or some shit.

I may be talking out my ass here though

I remember spending bloody ages deciding between orange leads and black leads at Halfords. I went in to get a basic set and left brother out waiting in car. When I saw they had orange leads that would suit my orange 12a in the brown chevette it became the mega hard decision! I went orange and didn't look back.

Eagle do them in black eh?

I'll measure the resistance of my current leads too. cheers.

Modern leads have a resistance value to increase the duration of the spark, I would explain it but pre trades was years ago aid I can't remember. it makes the electrons in the HT side of the coil oscilate back and forward or some such.

The winding in the lead is to supress the electromagnetic field and stop interferance with radios etc.

I could be wrong too.

my ae92 fxgt came from the factory with 9mm leads..

they were 10 years old and produce a better spark than some expensive 10mm leads.

beyond performance checked them out and they were amazed at how effective they were,so i kept them on there, i was about to spend $250 on some flashy set with an earthing kit etc...