Mega Shed of Ed.

0R10N

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have unfond memories of werking on my mate's V8 Skyline in the freezing swamps of Hamilton one winter... cold = profound lack of productivity.

Lining the place won't happen anytime soon, think I'll invest in a small fan heater :tongue:

I still have unfond memories of werking on my mate's V8 Skyline in the freezing swamps of Hamilton one winter... cold = profound lack of productivity.

Lining the place won't happen anytime soon, think I'll invest in a small fan heater :tongue:

Are there any legality issues with slamming a pot belly burner thing in there? Fan heater would just make noise and pump up the power bill. Is your door one piece? In my old shed we bubblewrapped the back of the door with some of the thick grunty grade stuff and it made the place a lot nicer in winter.

unfortunately potbellies and other fuelburners are fully illegal. I have some hot water cylinder wrap that could be put to good use. Heater's not a necessity, but it would make it cozier...

In fact the previous garage had a woodburner, but the council ordered it removed when they discovered someone had actually been living in there for a number of years.

That garage was nice and toasty in winter thanks to all the insulation and gib. Some nights it ended up being warmer than the house!

Kitset garages are hard to heat unless insulated as they are usually poorly sealed (they dont use joinery and regular door shuts). You did a good thing by adding the building paper. In hindsite I would do the same. Aucklands not that cold anyway. Get a pair of heavy cotton overalls and you'll be sweet.

Dude, just biff anything you want in there. The council won't know/care once it's signed off.

this is true

as a former low level council functionary i can confirm that the level of giving a fuck unless someone complains is an asymptote of 0

at worst they will make you remove it

your bigger worry would be insurance - they might not pay out if it fucked up/not installed with a permit etc

Yeah, true. My flatmate is a council employee and has confirmed this. I'll see what I can squeeze in after it's full of junk but I doubt it would be much.

And holy shit yes, those halogen lamps get warm enough to melt skin. And there's nothing quite like the acrid smell of roasting moths.

Not much to report today except for the addition of a second door. Builder was onsite until quite late finishing up all sorts of odds and ends (he left maybe 15 mins ago?) - tomorrow the diggers come back to do the drainage.

hopefully planks and sheets of ply will do the trick for storing things up in the rafters which are not overly heavy - e.g. boxes of plastic trim parts, small engine bits, maybe a wheel or two (sans tyre).

6753699461_631e03b4b5_b.jpg

The cladding looks much more fitting with the doors on. Looks quite cool actually. One thing I'd worry about with building a monstrosity of a garage on a property would be devaluing it because 98% of people have no interest in a big ugly shed on their back lawn, but I think this one works with it's tidiness and ability to blend in with conventional urban surroundings (doesn't look like a hacked up barn etc).

Chur Brad... the end is in sight!

I purposely had a few things added to the plans to allow the back half of the shed to be converted into extra rumpus/office space in the future if I do sell up. Figure a three car garage plus one or two rooms gives much better resale value on paper than a giant six car garage.

Some already suggested it somewhere.... but get them to dig a hole for you while they are there. For that big tree you are looking to get..... then when all done dump the hard fill in there and just take the other rubbish to the dump. Should save some $$$. I found all sorts of previous bonfire remains when I built a deck :o I also had a pile of bricks left over than I just buried / recycled back to nature :lol:

hopefully planks and sheets of ply will do the trick for storing things up in the rafters which are not overly heavy - e.g. boxes of plastic trim parts, small engine bits, maybe a wheel or two (sans tyre).

I know for a fact that trusses these days are WAY over designed so aslong as you dont put engines up there, you will be fine

with the amount of shit i have up in my shed roof the fucker should have collapsed years ago.

I'm going to lift engines out using the trusses, be sweet.

my mate's shed has a tile roof... if anything, THAT would be collapse-inducing!

I know for a fact that trusses these days are WAY over designed so aslong as you dont put engines up there, you will be fine

Even the super long ones like mine which consist of two ridge beams gusseted together?

The garage company rep looked horrified when I said I was going to sling a block and tackle off one of the trusses :lol:

Good to know - he was probably absolving himself of any comeback if the truss "happens" to snap in two :mrgreen:

Should of run some pipes through your floor for heated flooring. Just find some old single cylinder water cooled engine and run the water through the floor for cooling it/ heating the floor.

Now that would be quite rad.