Breaking in a rebuilt engine.

shavenYak

This weekend I will be putting a rebuilt 4g63 into the L200. It has new main and big end bearings and new rings.

Would like some tips on running/breaking in - everything from what oil to use, to how to drive it. Sorry I know this has probably been covered, but I couldn't find the threads.

Feed me your info!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

from what I've read, rather than true experience:

mineral oil, nothing too expensive as your just going to be changing it relatively shortly

the engine needs some load to bed the rings in but not 1 million rpm

so when its first started you should really take it for a reasonable open road drive as soon as you have it idling and running ok.

then after something like 500km you should change the oil and put in whatever you would normally use, which in this case might be just that same as what you used for run in, castrol GTX or what have you or the right viscosity.

I do this with two strokes and modern cars, wouldn't reccomend so much with older 4cyl..

There are plenty of good running in oils, but i'd use cheap multigrade as said before and take for long drive

taking it out just before redline in each gear slowly, and increase load after 500k's, after 1000, skids on

I did the same thing with my Avenger and Charger engine rebuild. I do 300KM of fanging it through the country roads. I usually do my place warkworth and back via SH16 twice letting it cool down before each run. Heavy acceleration and deceleration. Load the engine up on hills but don't give it full noise for too long, maybe 20 seconds max at a time.

My engine builder builds race engines etc and this is the method he told me to use. Plus it is fun as all hell fanging a new engine. You can feel the engine change as you do the running in process, My Avenger engine started really rough but tightened up during the running in. You could feel the power increase as the rings sealed better.

on my zed motor i did open road drive without taking overn 300prm to start with, then after another 50km started taking revs out more and more.

but dont fast rev it for a few hundred anyway.

your drive back to parmy should be good for it.

try taking it over the saddle road to get some load or somthing also

I Ussually go up the hill from governers bay to the sign of the kiwi a dozen times or so. Coasting back down each time with the motor off. Keeping the gears up, but not letting the motor run too slow.

One engine I ran in by doing a repeated max speed test. Four or five times up and down a 6.8km straight of road. We even towed it there so the fesh engine wouldn't have to idle.

this^ i rebuilt a chevette and gem motor a year apart,

dropped them in with a new filter and mineral oil,

drove to the rei changed oil, filter and continued happily motoring,

so around about a 350km run in with varied loads and throttle positions/revs.

Victory rev's on a fresh start to 3 quarter throttle seem to help also.

flash Lucas

the only time i seen those words together before was to do with industrial light and magic.

This is how i bedded the new rings in on my scoot the other day. read basically the same thing years ago when i rebuilt a crossflow.

I then read a running in guide that said the opposite and i was like shit have i done the wrong thing, but now i feel good again.

Breaking in an engine seems just like choosing an engine oil.

Everyone's method is divergent not inclusive.

As in, "I did this and it works fine, therefore its what you should do"

Doesnt mean that doing something else wouldnt have acheived the same result.

What happens to factory new motors?

They dont get any special oil or run in for 1000s of kilometers in a particular way.

What I would be interested to know, is who has run in an engine and then had it FAIL, or glaze the rings or whatever, what were the symptoms, and how was this diagnosed as the issue.