Opel Vectra Track Car

mikuni

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Different g/box or are you flipping the crownwheel?
Flipping crown wheel. I need to enlarge the diff housing and probably run a smaller clutch on a custom flywheel. But it's not too bad really :lol: considering the other options to ensure I don't have 5 reverse gears.

So far I haven't run into any deal breakers, just a few slight issues. I'll list a few things so people don't need to ask.

Firewall - cut away :D

Gear shift - convert to cable

Mounts - rear of the engine lines up perfectly with subframe, front I'll have to run a little crossmember but should be straight forward

Steering - this used to be on the firewall, so it's long gone.. along with the power steering that was on the "front" of the engine. I'm going to run a non-powersteer rack with an adjustable EPA if required

Chassis - have cut away, will reinforce with plate steel where I can, as per SS2000 rules (I can't go tubular/space frame) and will tie suspension and subframe into the cage to strengthen - I have an onto-it engineer helping me with fabrication/cage, so I'm not going it alone on the tricky stuff

Exhaust - it's going to be so sweet, no longer need to go under or around the engine, just straight down the firewall and out the back/side

Intake - this is probably going to be the biggest issue initially and may mean a custom ITB setup right away, which I was hoping I wouldn't have to do due to cost/difficulty. This will set me back 6 months or so if I can't get it running on factory setup.

Then there's still suspension, cage, interior, windows, etc etc etc to figure out, but that will all happen in time.. :D hopefully..

Intake - this is probably going to be the biggest issue initially and may mean a custom ITB setup right away, which I was hoping I wouldn't have to do due to cost/difficulty. This will set me back 6 months or so if I can't get it running on factory setup.

Why?

i mean as in the biggest problem... why is it a big problem?

The engine leans forward about 7° in it's original position, meaning the intake sits higher at the back of the engine bay. When I spin the engine around and lift it up, the intake now sits even higher but is now on the side of the engine bay where the bonnet slopes down. I'm still retaining the same 7° lean of the engine so that I don't have to modify the sump also.

So I'm anticipating issues with trying to retain the factory intake, and even if I go to ITB's it will have to be a well thought out design to make everything fit. I would like to get a lower, wider radiator and run the intake into the grill as Spencer suggests. I kind of need a new radiator anyway, because I've switched the in/out around the opposite way for the existing one. It's all of these little things that add up and begin to make it a massive undertaking.

Slide throttles with outboards would make lots of :D
Slide throttles are dumb everywhere except wide open and even then offer little to no gain. Just sayin' :P

I do feel I've taken on a little more than I can manage, but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

everyone in the whole world, read the above and learn from it.

take on more than you can manage, do it often. sometimes it might not work out perfectly but you'll be better for it every time.