Opel Vectra Track Car

mikuni

Semi on topic/not really, these would be a close relation to the Daewoo Cielo aye?

315d1128103926-manual-daewoo-cielo-pic02.jpg

Vaguely similar however the Daewoo is based on the smaller Opel Kadett E platform, which is the generation before the Vectra A and the next size down.

opel-kadett-e-photo.jpg

To put it into context, I guess its like saying an EE80 Corolla is the same as an ST170 Corona.

220px-Toyota_Corolla_1985.jpg250px-Corona_T170.JPG

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vauxhall Vectra

Isnt this a Cavalier tho?

104-thickbox.jpg

^ yeah thats more like it.

I have a sign writer mate who's keen to throw something together for me with the red base the car has now.

We ran through a few designs, but as everyone does the typical Opel colouring above we're thinking of going with some hideous/radical early 90's design.

I'm thinking this design but we'll invert the white and red, so it will work on the red base car.

20072009060.jpg

Something a little different and means I don't have to waste time (and add weight) by painting the whole thing white.

Cheers for the link though Heath, those prices aren't too bad when you consider the time it will take to draw the designs up. It's funny seeing on all the UK sites, the near standard cars running these decal kits :lol:

yeah they seam sharp!

Read on the site they can swap colors around for different base colors.

103-thickbox.jpg

http://www.replicarallygraphix.co.uk/product.php?id_product=34

Full Replica BTCC Cavalier Decal Kit.

Complete with everthing in the layout, will change any cavalier into this BTCC Racing cavalier.

Standard colours as shown can be changed to suit your requirements.

Complete with application tape pre installed for easy 123 fitment.

£67.99

lol yeah I know, but what I'm saying is that design is boring and over done, so unless they do the earlier styles then I aint keen :P Plus my car is different to that, it will wear the kit of the early GSi/2000 rather than the 1995 spec aero kit with splitter and no body kit, so it would look wrong.

What has it cost you so far? I'm toying with the idea of stripping the Alfa 155 which already has the 2.5L V6 and goes ok. Bound to make an OK race car if i stripped it and made it brake/handle a little better. It's a bit dented up etc and wouldn't get much for it if i tried to sell it but would be fine for a race car...

Edit: and look how tucked those wheels are, how the f do they steer without rubbing.

I believe the use of sprung loaded guards may help.. ie: a piece of nylon/teflon for the tyre to rub against which in turn pushes the guard out to give desierd clearance.

What has it cost you so far? I'm toying with the idea of stripping the Alfa 155 which already has the 2.5L V6 and goes ok. Bound to make an OK race car if i stripped it and made it brake/handle a little better. It's a bit dented up etc and wouldn't get much for it if i tried to sell it but would be fine for a race car...
Not sure what it's cost me to date, but it wouldn't be more than a few grand and a lot of what I've spent is not on the car yet - cage, coilovers, bigger brakes, proper wheels, + various spares (gearboxes, engine and guards).

For you though, the costs would be minimal. Stripping the car is free, sometimes you can even make money off this from selling parts. A race seat and steering can be had for a few hundred dollars, then theres harnesses if you want for $200-350. All this weight reduction will make it handle and stop better by default, but I would recommend a new set of pads all round and a fluid change to get it stopping really well. Bigger brakes probably aren't required right away. Handling will benefit greatly by removing some height, but unfortunately to get it where it needs to be, requires a lot more thought and expense because the suspension geometry changes. Obviously sports/cut springs and shocks are ok to begin with.

And if you're going to bother with a track car at all, I recommend getting a cheap set of semi-slicks thrown on there. Second hand can be had for as little as $100 often with decent life left in them, but even new semi's seem to be getting cheaper and cheaper.

One thing is you need to decide what you want from the car. If you just want a road/track toy, make sure you build it to this and keep it road worthy. If you want to eventually get into a race class, you need to find out what the regulations are to begin with and build it to this. I'm aiming to build the car towards SS2000 in the aim that I may try and enter this, or a similar series if one exists in a few years. However, a 2.5L V6 won't comply with these regulations, so just keep that in mind.

Cheers. All helpful information :)

I think i really just want to get out on a few track days. Nothing serious, just want to have something to have a bit of fun in as i have no project car on the horizon that will work as a track beast and my daily rides are more suited to towing haha.

May see you at the next trackday and we can have a sweet touring car battle :P

4760328752_cf1e979813_b.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Ned, since you're an expert at removing the gearbox / engine to do clutch changes now, you need to start lining up a cheap 3.0V6 from a 164 plus a Q2 mechanical LSD to put in the gearbox.

Tar-queeny's 155 is the sexiest of all the touring cars and must be built. But not with a 2.0 engine. ;)

Back in the '90s my touring car hero was Wicked Rydell, cos he was the dirtiest player in the game in his stupid Volvo. Somebody make that, in wagon form of course.