Cam's Toyota AE86 Trueno Racecar - Yes, Another One!

Ned

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man I would go EFI in 0.2 seconds if I had a G4 sitting in the car, they are a real sweet ECU, I'm all for MS but if had a G4 there is no way I would change it out for a MS. Quad throttles with a propper plenum and it will make more power everywhere, plus better drivability, starting, easier to tune if you make any upgrades. Plus you will make some good coin selling the carbs

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for a set of quads and EFI. But, aside from being a fan of the simplicity of the carbs, I just don't have time to set it up at the moment. I have 4 more weeks before trackday so time's of the essence. The other reason for not dicking with it is that it's a bigport motor and still has a 3 rib block and probably the little gudgeon pins. It's never going to make as much power as the later model motor with the same amount of coin spent on it. I have a 20V and a smallport motor sitting in the garage at home so I'll most likely build one of those up to eventually replace this motor. If I was to go to EFI there's no way I'd sell the Link and replace it with a MS. For timing I'm not so fussed as all it's doing at the moment is acting like a mechanical advance dizzy (no TPS or MAP input - just RPM).

Interesting that you bought those wheels Jif. I wonder why he sold them. What size are they? Possibly too small for the big brakes or too narrow for decent tyres...

They are 15x7 0 offset. I can't quite remember why he sold them but he could have wanted wider tyres or that they are a bit ruff.

Nice work going on here, me likey. I can imagine how awesomely horrid that exhaust would sound, friggin ace. Also, I understand why it has such a huge sump, my oil was getting to 150C in two laps of taupo track 2, so I fitted an oil cooler, now it only gets to about 125C, if I end up tracking mine more, im def going to increase the sump volume a fair bit.

What?! Didn't realise this was the AE86 that's been up at Tony's. Thats crazy haha small world.

The Zinc plating looks sooo shiny! Was starting to get quite cloudy but he replaced all the fluids/reconditioned the electrodes the other week.

If your cars up there on Sunday i'll probably be there and have a nosey, need to do more work on my engine (it's sitting there in between those tubs and the pipe bender).

• 3 weeks later...
Today was a very, very good day....

Pv30DV7SV_M

I have a trillion photos to go through so when I get some time I'll do a mega update. Stay tuned kiddies.

I see your second start video and raise you a 1st start video :P

Q0ndVlQb5Fk

"Fuckin told you it would go!" = gold :)

i feel proud that i helped do some shit :)

Granted it was gerenally only bitch work/hold the light in the right palce, but i helped none the less haha

Too bad today went poos and still no driving happened.... tomorrow is anothr day. The joys of having no boss at work aye Cam ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Lush, your posts are making this friday morning more bearable.

+1. this is the sorta shit that is actually worth putting g in build threads etc.

gagging for a race car now....(heads out to garage to start stripping triumph down for the OSTCC)

Are you related to UJ? This is going to be such a well presented car, I really really do love your work haha.

Ive found spotweld drills are a much of a muchness tbh brad. Ive used a couple of different brands and never really had one work any better than another