Alex's 1968 'oldman special' HB Viva discussion....

yoeddynz

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So good that I've watched it twice already and I'll insist my brother watches it later and then the rest of my family...

I left a comment for you on there too. ;)

I just looked through and wow shucks! Oh such wicked nice comments from you Micheal. Cheers so much.  :-)  Yeah I'll fondle your metal any day.

• 1 month later...

Cheers! I wasn't sure if it might have been too long. Took all night.. slow typer and all that. But seriously I was so amazed at how lovely it was up there and had taken a few nice photos so just wanted to share. Going to go back up there for sure. And that hot pool waterfall!!!! Awesome. I wish we had more time to enjoy but was on mission to get to nats.

The Coromandel is great. We camped at Waikawau for a couple of weeks in Jan 2013. Great place, but slightly windy when tenting. The Driving Creek Railway is cool too - I liked the brick/rusty steel decor at the base kiln area. Keen to do a future pizza oven area in a similar way.

We drove pretty much all the gravel roads in the northern half of the coromandel over that period (in the HG Holden), so can totally agree with the fuckwits in rental Nissan Tiidas. Always a pain in the ass.

Good to hear that the Viva behaved. Plenum explosions are no fun though.

• 11 months later...

Yeah I was luck they were on that wagon. Actually they pretty much sealed the sale when I found out they were included. The viva is parked up were I can see it and while I like the turbos the tyre size is still wrong. I'd really like some brand new, straight and true hustlers or revolution four spokes with 185/60 tyres. To have that new wobble free shiny wheel feel :-)

Oh and I weighed the wheels. Even with slightly larger tyres the alloys are almost 2 kg lighter each than the steels! Quite a difference in unsprung weight.

• Like 1

Steels look a million miles better.

You can tell that's a legit statement because the comparison of style vs. distance is incomprehensible so helps to convey the feelings of just how much better the steels are than the Cheviot's Yuckbros.

• Like 3

That is a good way of putting it..it is only maybe 50 mm bigger diameter change but looks much fatter/blobbier spec than that. I don't personally like the stretch tyre look ( yawn..) but neither do I like bulging sidewalls.

However I do like the turbos but I like them more on the wagon because manky, tatty, messy cars suit nice wheels more. If you know what I mean.

Plus the steels help with the whole grandad spec style thing.

But then I often think that widened steels are a bit over done and yawn spec where as a nice set of turbos is not often seen on older cars like this.

I'm gonna roll the turbos for a while longer anyway, because I can, plus one of the steels as a slow leak to sort out.

• Like 1