compound charging/twin charging

d.p.n.s

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the mode of operation, there are a couple of way of doing it: Turbo first, or blower first. Lancia opted for the former, positioning the supercharger closest to the engine for immediate response, and incorporating a valve to allow the turbo to bypass the blower when up to speed and pressurize the intake charge with less restriction.

http://www.spannerhead.com/2012/11/21/technical-curiosities-twincharging/

http://www.infinitegarage.com/twin-charged-engines/

http://www.autozine.org/Archive/Lancia/classic/Delta_S4.html

Another problem of the outgoing 037 was lack of power. Even in ultimate form its supercharged engine mustered only 325 horsepower. The S4 produced 470hp from the outset. Its engine was downsized to 1759cc (to slip into the 900kg class), but it was boosted by the most advanced forced induction system of the time – a mechanical supercharger plus a turbocharger ! It was the world's first of its kind. Contemporary turbochargers were not as efficient as today's. They provided no boost at low rpm and a great deal of turbo lag, which affected drivability. For a rally car, a flat torque curve over a wide range of rpm is always crucial, since it has to accelerate out of corner from very low speed to near top speed in 10 seconds. A mechanical supercharger could complement the black hole at the low-end power delivery and resulted in a flat torque curve. Nevertheless, a supercharger is always power consuming, the worse the higher the rev. Therefore Lancia designed the system such that once the turbo got running, a bypass valve relieved the pressure from the supercharger so that the latter was deactivated. The theory seemed simple, but it took Lancia and Abarth a lot of research to smoothen the transition between supercharger and turbocharger.

the vw 1.4 tsi twin charge uses a clutched eaton supercharger that blows through a small turbo up to about 3000rpm and then is clutched out and runs on turbo only.

above 3000 rpm a valve opens and the supercharger is bypassed.

its a really cool engine to drive and is rapid enoungh.

we had problems many with owners filling them with 91 octane and putting holes in the pistons. you can find that motor in everything from the golf to the tiguan and new beetle.

vw stopped using that motor because i think its too costly.

you can get the supercharger to kick in in reverse gear which is pretty funny

Untill you find me someone from lancia who says they switched off the supercharger I won't believe it. There is no reason to run two intercoolers if you aren't compounding boost. These people have all been tricked because of this image which shows air going arond the supercharger, all that is is the idle stabilzation. Read the Evo thread he talks about idle IATs going through the roof because he blanked his one off.

s4inductionsystem4km.jpg

Watch this video and tell me when you can't hear blower whine all the time.

This

102930d1210989629-8v-2l-twin-charged-my-

I was talking about compund setups when I said you wouldn't do it this way. sorry for the miss understanding.

And while great for fuel economy, it is not so great for out right area under the curve, which is what makes twin charging dominate.

Actually this video does an even better job of proving my point that they never turn the supercharger off.

And thinking about it, this is the only bit of proof you should actually need.

There is no reason to run two intercoolers if you aren't compounding boost.

I read the blurb on Scanias turbo compound unit and it has a geardriven unit that works off've the crank additional to the turbo. Would you guys like to read it?

I have access to the service info on my laptop.

I thought it was a turbine in behind the turbo that went through a gearbox and attached to the flywheel? 

pretty sure thats how the Volvo ones work anyhow . 

I might also be thinking of something completely different

I thought it was a turbine in behind the turbo that went through a gearbox and attached to the flywheel? 

pretty sure thats how the Volvo ones work anyhow . 

I might also be thinking of something completely different

Yeah I just read it again, feeds power directly into the gearbox:

Turbocompounding

Turbocompounding relies on utilising a larger proportion of the heat energy in the exhaust gases by means of a power turbine 1. The power turbine is located in the exhaust pipe downstream from turbocharger 2 and the exhaust brake. The power turbine is of the same type as the one in the turbocharger.

The exhaust gases from the engine propel the turbocharger turbine at high speed while the compressor side of the turbocharger supplies air to the combustion process. The exhaust gases pass the exhaust brake and continue to the power turbine in the turbocompound unit, which rotates at a speed of approximately 50,000 rpm.

The power is transmitted via the gear 3 to a hydraulic coupling 4, which evens out speed variations between the turbocompound unit output shaft and the crankshaft. Via another set of gears consisting of a hydraulic coupling gear, an intermediate gear and a crankshaft gear, the power is then transmitted to the engine flywheel 5 and on to the gearbox .

In comparison to a conventional engine, turbocompounding offers a number of advantages. The output and the torque is higher and the fuel consumption is lower in comparison to an identical engine without a turbocompound unit.

Untill you find me someone from lancia who says they switched off the supercharger I won't believe it. There is no reason to run two intercoolers if you aren't compounding boost. These people have all been tricked because of this image which shows air going arond the supercharger, all that is is the idle stabilzation. Read the Evo thread he talks about idle IATs going through the roof because he blanked his one off.

dave is right on this lancia never declutched the supercharger or had anything to do that (and go wrong)

henry toivonnen wasnt gonna lift so why declutch it?

+1 my car does not have an idle bypass and the idle and esp decel IAT's go nuts, like from 70-80 degrees under load (no intercooler) to 120 degrees when you engine brake from high rpm.