compound charging/twin charging

d.p.n.s

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I should probably justify my comment, as it's a bit douchey just saying you are wrong.

The reason that compound turbos aren't the be all and end all for creating boost is because of the large amount of back pressure that they create, as well as the the fact that the small turbo robs a lot of the energy out of the exhaust gas, thereby making the large turbo even slower to spool up.

I understand that you have less lag down low and that is a good thing but in the grand scheme of things you won't care about 10psi being made by a t25 when you have 30psi being made by a hx55, not to mention that the only reason that you would want 40 psi is because you are drag racing( or you have a diesel that needs 100psi, like I said this setup is good for making big boost....), and even then there are better methods for getting a drag car on boost.

The reason why a true twincharge setup is awesome is because of the positive displacement supercharger, the blower means that the back pressure ratio is positive, something which you simply can't do with a turbo. This in turn means that you have better cylinder filling, can run more aggressive cams, and also it means that you have a greater resistance to knock as you don't have a contaminated intake charge.

dunno if it's been covered but mk4 supra 2j TT setup is excellent.

it basically does everything you need in a twin charge setup and is reliable and efficient.

two turbos the same size.

one turbo from idle. then exhaust gas gets diverted to pre spool second turbo. then second turbo comes online and they run together till redline.

tiney dip in power as second turbo comes on but it's fuck all.

I tested its action by rigging both turbos on mine to run together the whole time ( all shutoff valves open) and the lag/ lack of low down boost and tq was horrible in comparison

I haven't read this thread in ages but I just saw this in the random pic thread and thought I would slot it in here.. (may already be in the thread but I ain't going to read 8 pages to find out..LOL)

presentazione-2.jpg

Can someone explain what the feed going from just before the inlet plenum to the little dodacky then to after the intake is for?

• 2 years later...

For a start sorry for bring up old post(google brought me here)

presentazione-2.jpg

Ive loved the idea of the compound charged set up after see this

After half pie reading this thread the Lancia set up looks the easiest.

Anyone able to put togetter a turbo , superchager and ecu (megasquirt? or something user friendly)combo for the following?

engine ej20

20-25 psi max

next to no lag or the use of a anti lag

keep in mind this is on a low budget (pickapart or trademe finds) with $$ spent on ecu to run it all

Just curious.Thanks

• Like 1

Even better, just never turn the supercharger off.

Free up a few HP worth of parasitic loss by doing so though?

Hmmm when the main selling point of a boxer engine is the low COG, strapping all this extra stuff on top of it seems to mitigate that benefit a bit.

And sweet jebus I can not think of a more horrifying clusterfuck of pipes and misery than trying to troubleshoot a problem with a twin charged boxer setup.

I think I'd rather just antilag it and deal with the turbo replacement intervals haha.

• Like 3