Dustys 89 Hairdressermobile (mx5)

Dusty

well hi.

im callum.

05d9eeb9c3f30ec2f8d6faaf433c968d2g.jpg

e0cd7232f4011f0d69c6548d426e4f9f2g.jpg

a8bf23ecc6e30c8ce82c2fd7d2c8899e2g.jpg

this is ma 89 mx5 iv had for about a year and a half now. is my first real car (ford mondeo is not a car)

ok quick wrap up of history:

brought it lookin like this:

968b67cbfee98ccfa2500dc0f9def6692g.jpg

then put a bore on it

and lowered it on some cheap ass $200 springs

13475f8918540703a9dce833545ba8d32g.jpg

8af9e04e8735243bc90cfa7597e5f0602g.jpg

after 6 months of no wof and a few fines i decided to make it legal again

acf1213b81cf7ea4a5d7626999f802212g.jpg

wasnt pretty.

i also took a fancy lookin pic

4dc9ac0d00e2a42bc2c2c02f7330a42c2g.jpg

painted tappet cover at some point. was hell bored.

12adf42e36651e0b6f39451c05e5da512g.jpg

eventually i get these :twisted:

72b1f39b47ee22de2de029c0f35de8a02g.jpg

ooh yeah $1800 from japan :P

made a skid plate because no way in hell was i replacing the sump.

and after figuring out how to make the shocks go lower. i slammed it.

3deea479f8a34a285da4e3b27c7217f72g.jpg

84557b251a81a1b99a94bbe8fe8e52f12g.jpg

0e8351ec92ff60b708ff48178e3dc78a2g.jpg

deleted the bigbore and replace with a extremely low flow inprezza muffler to try and keep a low profile from cops.

but eventually.

9168924041_0.jpg

DSC03639.JPG

so old shocks went back in that night. wof the next morning and pinkey came off.

eventually mustered up the cash for a cert, slammed it again, failed horrably, raised, passed, lowered with limits of cert.

and that brings us to the top pics.

got bored and made launch control which ill probabily never use:

currently saving/building up for a bpt swap(1.8l turbo engine out of a mazda gtx)

will take some pics and update here :)

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, I know this car, guy I worked with rebuild it (bout 10 years ago?) I went for a spin in it once, was pissed I couldnt drive it propper due to being to tall/fat. Any plans for it wheel wise?

eh no way. thats choice dont happen to know if he did anything to the engine?

iv got some borbet type a 15x8 -15 offset. but they wont be going on untill after i get another cert due to 195/45/15s being to thin by law -.-. will also roll fenders go lower and would like 15-20mm spacers aswell.

and cheers guys

I like it man, good work. I must admit, I saw one of those top pictures posted elsewhere and thought it was yet another Miata/MX5 from offshore thats awesome (didn't notice the plate), so glad to see its a kiwi car.

iv got some borbet type a 15x8 -15 offset. but they wont be going on untill after i get another cert due to 195/45/15s being to thin by law -.-. will also roll fenders go lower and would like 15-20mm spacers aswell.

Can't wait for above also! Going to step it up a notch.

Apparently theres a very awesome red MX5 in Hamilton on epic wheels, but I'm yet to see it.

Nice, I know this car, guy I worked with rebuild it (bout 10 years ago?) I went for a spin in it once, was pissed I couldnt drive it propper due to being to tall/fat. Any plans for it wheel wise?

eh no way. thats choice dont happen to know if he did anything to the engine?

Nah, he didnt do anything to the motor, mind you I think its changed hands a few times since. He used to buy write offs and rebuild them, so he would have just done the rebuild/panel/paint and put the wheels on it.

Apparently theres a very awesome red MX5 in Hamilton on epic wheels, but I'm yet to see it.

am interested. iv onyl seen one mx5 with mods and it was a track car on the back of a trailer :/

I agree with the extra slam..

Make them run road laying trucks after you

yeah im not going that bloody low. would like another 20mm drop and im happy.

currently saving/building up for a bpt swap(1.8l turbo engine out of a mazda gtx)

Dont bother, wont bolt up to your mx5 gearbox+other issues. Ive been fucking around with a similar thing lately and nothing is easy with this lol. Give me a pm if ya wanna discuss further, always interested in chatting about performance gains with these motors.

Nice car too, impressive slam

Dont bother, wont bolt up to your mx5 gearbox+other issues. Ive been fucking around with a similar thing lately and nothing is easy with this lol. Give me a pm if ya wanna discuss further, always interested in chatting about performance gains with these motors.

spent to much to not bother. from all my searching im pretty sure it drops in and bolts up. custom intake exhaust and waterlines deal with the rest. will use the electronic distributor and coilpacks from current engine and will run it all with megasquirt. if it doesnt bolt up. i will cry.

spent to much to not bother. from all my searching im pretty sure it drops in and bolts up. custom intake exhaust and waterlines deal with the rest. will use the electronic distributor and coilpacks from current engine and will run it all with megasquirt. if it doesnt bolt up. i will cry.

One of my old customers has a BPT in his MX5? Unsure if he used the 1600 gearbox or not