Dustys 89 Hairdressermobile (mx5)

Dusty

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you look in to one of those prebent cage kits? I do need to kick on with the cage in my mx but not 100% sure if a kit is the best option?

this thing is going to be quite the little weapon once complete.. Also what are your plans for front knuckle / hubs?

I didnt know there were/are any for a mx, iv just been looking online for what i like the look of. iv been keeping dimensions of this one so if your interested i could bend it up the same or give you the dimensions you need if you have a bender.

Im still not sure, its going to be one of the last things to tackle. It will be going 5 stud though.

^^ Excellent work man. Seen your red one driving through Masterton over the holidays too (assume it was you anyway)

Can I ask where you work? Super jealous of your workshop facilities/skills

I sold the red one i brought, You probably saw my workmates one, I sold him my wheels.

Im an apprentice at Fagans, The place comes in handy for one off tools like the drill press, press and the like. I do spend a lot on tools though.

Thanks everyone for the compliments,

• Like 1

Yeah racefab in chch charge $500 + 50 bucks freight for a Prebent cage kit, although i don't really know if it's optimised for hardtop fitment...

I like how yours has the diagonals in the backstays -not the main hoop to gain extra head clearance. :-)  I may take you up depending on the logisitcs of getting bits of pipe sent around the country...

As for the hub / knuckle.. the easy / simple way is to sleeve the standard knuckle stub from 28mm to 33mm and jam on the rx7 hub, but i am not convinced that this gives great rigidity or optimised caliper mounting provisions...

EDIT: i'm also keen for more close-ups of the footings, especially for the ones behind the seats

Does it come with all the ends notched? Either way thats not a bad price really considering the pipe is $30 a meter.

the footings are just 3mm plate made into boxes, you need to have the plate running parallel with the body steel  and then build a box off that. Im remaking the main hoop footings atm so ill take pics when they're done.

Iv opted to cut out the little corner bit behind the seats to run the plates a bit better.  If you're ok with cutting it out you can just mount a plate to the floor and run the main hoop right down to it. only reason im not is because i fucked it up :P

Iv read about fitting the rx7 hub like that and agree it seems like a good way to make it weaker, I might end up going with it or something similar until i go full custom on everything..