hunteds shuvit

mutiny

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

right, for those who have been following the discusion thread, this will make sense....

just heard back fromt he guy with the a15 sedan. he sold it before he actually picked it up, and the new owner took out the a15 and gave it to him. he said it was on standard mounts, and just has a modified sump. he said he will swap me the modified sump he has for a standard a15 sump if i end up buying an engine

so yeh, eyes are now open for a cheap a15. this semi confirms a few internet rumours ive herd that a a15 is a bolt in affair (engine wise). gbox however is another story....

a standard a15 is 80hp (not sure if thats at the flywheel or atw), and the might 1256 that i currentlky have is 52hp at the fly, and 40 atw. so either way, itl give iot some more go :D

discuss! viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23422&start=60

If the mighty A15 will bolt straight up, I wouldn't fret one bit about the gearbox mountings. Chris and I shoehorned (And I do mean shoehorned) the gargantuan G two hundy five speed into the tunnel on his Shove-it. So and A series gearbox will be a walk in the park to fit up.

Gaz-cert depends on a few things. Depending on how much butchering/modifying of the engine and gbox mounts are required, it may "look" factory. In that case i will try to get away with it. If there is blatently new mounts etc then i suppose ill have to cert it. If that is the case, then ill try and slam the shit out of the car and get that certed for heigh as well. This all costs money though, so yeh, ill see what happens.

Bart - yeh i cant imagine it being too hard, im jsut useless/have no access to required tools and materials, so if i go ahead, ill be putting the call out for you rough cunts to help me haha

Robs got a A15 sitting around that im going to grab in a week or two and try bolt it up in my parts car. Can do all the mocking up and what not it that, then I can still drive mine around.

found a 1256 engine as follows.....

twin su carbs 38mm

sir jack brabam intake manifold

new alternator

rebuild starter motor

rebuild fuel pump

new plugs

new leads

new points

new dizzy cap

new condenser

new coil

wants 500 with gbox/radiator etc but rekon i could get it cheaper from him....

wonder how much more go it would have then mine.....

^ pretty sure it was 90 at the wheels. Thats probably more than double the standard horsepower, which is quite a bit! Also, it went for over $3000 so someone must think they are ok engines.

I have heard myself, that the little 1256 engines do open up well. Gordo on the gm-t site has seen one at 100hp or something like that. However, it will still be a 1256 and will still have a crap 4 speed behind it. Huge benifit is no cert required though, so you'd have to consider it for that alone. Sounds like a fantastic price for all those parts. Can you hear it running first? 1256 won't need custom driveshaft or gearbox crossmember also.

That said, I really want to see a Nissan A series engine go into a shove. It was the first engine I considered putting into mine before I decided on Isuzu G series. Would be crazy if it were a bolt in afair.

haha oh well i thought they had like 78hp or something, you could put a slant 4 engine in? 1800/2300

You own one! I've never heard of anyone who's driven a factory 1256 who thought it actually had more than about 40 hp. Maybe yours had a hidden supercharger? :P

the 1256 is like 40hp standard....lol

Yeh brad I would love a A15 and im still keeping my eyes open for one, but when I add up the costs it a bit more than I want to spend (for now). Im going to try one of robs spares over the holidays and see how it lines up. cert is the killer really. i dont mind 500 odd for engine & gbox but add in cert and its up near a grand.

ill see the lowest this guy will go without gbox, rad and maybe even alternator since its brand new, and if i can get it cheap then i might just do it. for now anyway.

then again it may be a waste of time sticking witht he 1256. casue my god its slow

haha oh well i thought they had like 78hp or something, you could put a slant 4 engine in? 1800/2300

You own one! I've never heard of anyone who's driven a factory 1256 who thought it actually had more than about 40 hp. Maybe yours had a hidden supercharger? :P

yeah its my first car so i dont have anything else to compare it too :lol:

Only issue would be the gearbox crossmember, as I have a suspicion the body mounts and the A15 gearbox crossmember won't be close to eachother. Could maybe make up a gb crossmember and soak it in grease and old engine oil for a few days to get it looking "factory". :wink:

I reckon you could get away without cert with A series. Get a rocker cover without Nissan/Datsun on it and most people wouldn't know the difference. Especially if its bolt in.

Most WOF guys wouldn't give a shit.

Altho i wouldnt say this sort of thing to noobs i agee with what your saying. One of the main reasons for certs it to stop people doing stupid unsafe things to there cars.

But removing a 1256 and replacing it with a 1.5 engine thats most likely a we bit lighter if not the same weight is hardly going to be unsafe if its been mounted correctly etc.

There will be a good power increase but this is mainly due to the horribly underpowered engine that it begun with.

I believe if you cut the Nissan/Datsun symbol out of the rocker cover most WOF issuers would know the difference.

As for the gearbox cross member, if it looks professional and is welded properly it will be fine, besides, how many WOF issuers actually look under the car anyway ?

I usually dont recomend doing things without a cert. But, you could most likely get away with it in this instance.

Things to think about is insurance and the trouble you could get into in an accident should the police or insurance find out your car is illegally modified.

So.

End of the day. Yes you could most likely get away without a cert but IMO i wouldnt recomend it. Just wanted to share my thoughts on it all.

IF it was my car i would try and get away without a cert, but thats me :D

You oughta be able to get away with no cert long enough to save up for cert.

Either way, you'll be going from a complete lemon of an engine, to the best pushrod four ever made.

the 6 sucks so bad that when chris pulled his out on my front lawn I wanted to dry reach just at the sight of it.