lumpy cam...worth doing on a standard engine?

Beaver

hey all.

managed to track down a guy who hass a few lumpy cams from a hillman hunter for sale. i have just brought another hunter , so the plan is to get the motor running and slowly do some work to it (if i find any money lol). he only wants 60 buks so yeh, im keen as. no idea on the specs etc but i dont think it would be too wild, as the rest of the bits hes selling are standard. ive read that u can lose power at low revs etc with a wild cam but yeh, itd be sweet to have a nice lumpy idle

long story short....is it worth it/safe to put a lumpy cam in a standard engine?

probably a stupid question but hey we all gota learn sumday

Do your homework before fitting it. Make sure that the valves wont crash into the block deck, or into the pistons. some (English) engines turn into a can of worms when you tyr and modfiy them. (i've heard a HORROR story about a guy who put a big cam into a triumph.

Do your homework before fitting it. Make sure that the valves wont crash into the block deck, or into the pistons. some (English) engines turn into a can of worms when you tyr and modfiy them. (i've heard a HORROR story about a guy who put a big cam into a triumph.

its a spare motor so yeh its not a huge deal if it blows up, would actually be kinda funny haha. but yeh i shall look into it

Yup and without knowing the camspecs you be unlikely to dial it in properly and you'll end up with a waste of time and money lemon engine anyway.

a bit of play doe or blue tack on top of the piston,

put head back on wind over by hand remove head check

clearances first,

too much lift and its going to smack valves onto the pistons if not set up correctly,

too grumpy and the valve springs won't be able to fully close the valves without being uprated up in the rev range,

similar thing happens with hydraulic lifters if you over rev them in a v8 and they pump up leaving the valves open a bit,

if its a grenade motor why don't you port the head a bit get it planed fit carbs extractors

uprate the valve springs with heavier ones and put it together nicely

and then drop it in the hunter as opposed to a half pie play thats more labour intensive in the end

i had just cam and headers done on my engine, made it 100x better, although i guess it depends alot on the standard specs of the cam in the first place.I guess if its not to lumpy and standard head can handle (valve springs etc) then theres no real lose.Mite have to richen up ya carb alittle tho too.

"I was looking at the cams and was wondering if you had any specs and serial numbers for the standard cams.

There are two cams with the letter D and one with an E in the box

these are the numbers ive got

MC24424 D 1981094 X2 of and one is very lumpy not what i would call a street cam

MC24424/N E 1981094 X1 not sure bout this one. "

this is what the guy selling them told me....does this mean anything to anyone?

thanks

Depending on how aggressive the cam is it is possible that you will lose power in a factory engine. Low end torque will fly out the window, and because the intake/exhaust is too restrictive it won't breath at the top end where the cam makes the power. Chuck it in anyway.

Valve springs are a biggie, get some double valve springs if ya can. Bigger / twin carbs, ya may have to upgrade the fuel pump as the mechanical one might not keep up (avengers have this problem), and port the head to get the most out of the cam.

Take them to a reconditioner and get them profiled to see if they are different from standard or just have different numbers, and if they are ground are they ok or poked.

There is no point in putting in something thats more fucked than the thing you pull out for the time and effort involved to do the job.

Corey