Rxsumo's heroic Cosmo.

treggo

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wondered what happened to this after Paul was tragically killed - RIP.

Glad someone who will show it the right kind of attention got their hands on it (If its anything to go by the standard of your RX-3!!!)

Can't wait to see this in the flesh one day around Wellington!

lol at nos.

btw L10b= easy engine. least u aint L10a. imagine tryn to find alloy side housings. Anyway eninge will be super easy for L10b. even spiderman could do it.

err, I think you have the wrong engine.....

Quote from Mazda RX7 Book with all the engine details......

Type 10A, engine code 0813 (July 1968)

The Type 10A 0813 was an uprated version of the 10A 0810 engine that powered the series L10b Cosmo Sport, lauched in July 1968. Small-scale production of the model continued through to September 1972.

The 0813 engine had its port timing and carbueretion revised to produced 128bhp at 7000 rpm and 140Nm (103 lb-ft) of torque at 5000 rpm. It retained aluminium side housings as in the 0810, and there was no change in the engines basic construction.

The cast iron side housings were introduced with the 0820 motor for use in the R100 series of cars.

The RX3 engine was code 0866

The 0820 engine out of the R100 is described as a detuned 0810/0813, so I'm assuming its the same dimensions as the Cosmo engines, except it has different port timing, lower compression, different exhaust setup, and the cast iron end housings. If this is the case, the R100 motor would make a logical choice for a replacement engine, if we cant get the engine bits.

I've got a mate who's a Mazda parts manager, having a check for the parts.

• 3 weeks later...

Whoops- I forgot the rules about posting on ya link. I removed it all and left a dot. ignore it!!

Anyway..

WOW!! :D cool car and i'm glad to see it aint gonna be butchered, then covered in glue and driven through Repco's car accessory area.

There is a cosmo sitting in a blokes lockup down in Newbury- about 40 miles south of where i live. I wish i could get it off him but he knows what its worth. bugger.

here it is...

CarlHaywardsCosmo.jpg

alex

• 2 weeks later...

I can't think to say that hasn't been said...

It's absolutly amazing man, I can't wait to see it on the road or maybe even in the flesh. Whats the rust situation like?

This has got to be one of THE most classic jappanesse cars IMO, right up there with the likes of the Toyota 2000GT (or whatever they are).

Awesome, awesome car!

Rust photos to follow 8)

The car isnt actually that bad. Both Sills and rear end of the front guards will need to be rebuilt, and there are sections of the footwell floor that need to be rebuilt. The worst is the drivers side, where we may need to fabricate a new outrigger chassis rail. There are a few other spots where small, localised repair will be required.

Most of the rusty bits on the body that you can see from the photos, are where water has got under the paint (really thick paint after the car was resprayed at some stage), and as the water has travelled the paint has lifted, its this stuff that I want to stabilise as there is virtually no perforation in these areas...literally surface rust :)

Need to get a weekend...perhaps Anniversary weekend, and dig it out of the garage, clean up the visable rust, and coat it with a protective spray for storage. I'll get the photos done then.

CarlHaywardsCosmo.jpg

alex

Christ, i spot the cosmo, rx3 coupe, an fd3s & ??? also spot a 1st gen 7 in the corner??

I want the contents of that lockup, STAT!!!

Also, Good to see someone with taste restoring a true mazda classic. will be worth a mint when its done too :D

*Edit* Also lols me how back in the (late) 60s mazda was making over 1 hp per 1 cc NA :badgrin:

CarlHaywardsCosmo.jpg

alex

*Edit* Also lols me how back in the (late) 60s mazda was making over 1 hp per 1 cc NA :badgrin:

Should that be 1hp per 100cc?

R100 10A PP was around 200 hp from 982cc

L10B Cosmo 10A was 128 hp

Group B RX7 13B PP was around 300-320 hp from 1308cc

• 2 weeks later...
Nah i've bee too busy to go see the guy i'll try fit it in next week.

Yeah its a driver just has bit of rust in the floorpan i think.

Apparently there are LWB and SWB versions?

his is like 228 of 500 or something of the LWB one "I think"

SWB = L10A made 30.5.1967 - 3.7.1968

LWB = L10B made 3.7.1968 - 1972

L10B is apparently the better one to get, more HP and better road manners, and a 5 speed gearbox