• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

The Cosmo hasnt moved much.

I've managed to score a few NOS bits and pieces, engine bits and trim, over the last 12 months.

We are in the process of buying a new house, and a few other priorities have delayed the project a little longer.

Suspect there are 5 or 6 in the country at least.

There was an Auckland dealer that sold two of them trough TradeMe, as well as somebody in Dunedin doing the same.

Suspect none of them are actually on the road however.

Engines are the biggest issue, mine has done a geniune 80K, and the motor is shot. Major cracks around the sparkplug holes due to bad water channel design causing hotspots in the housings. Rust would be another factor.

You would have to be brave to own a R130, and drive it. The motor only shares Apex seals with the 10A, and virtually everything else is unique, at least with the Cosmo, you can transplant a later 10A, and actually drive the car without having to worry about motor failures.

Our intention is to go do this path, fit a RX3 10A engine, and ultimately have the original L10B motor "rebuilt" and kept for originality purposes only. This way the car can actually be used.

yea having two engines is a good idea. how can an R130 share the apex seals of a 10a when the engines in an R130 are a 13A? wouldnt the apex seals be too short. think youd have to be brave to drive a FWD rotary in general, there was one on ebay in aus recently for 12k AUD in need of full restoration iirc.

have you managed to find some NOS pieces for your cosmo? cant imagine finding wrecked ones would be easy seeing as they only made like 1500

yea having two engines is a good idea. how can an R130 share the apex seals of a 10a when the engines in an R130 are a 13A? wouldnt the apex seals be too short.

13A rotors are the same width as 10A, but have a bigger diameter, think there the only Mazda rotor with a different diameter.

• 4 weeks later...
How did you find the housings!? not even guna ask what you paid for them

They popped up on Ausrotor, and fortunately I managed to get to them before anybody else did.

Hmmm, the price....would buy a nice daily driver, or around half what the original owner of the Cosmo landed it for.

Glenn Munro had a full set of end plates (3) for one of these engines that he offered to me, I turned down in preference to spending the money on rotor housings, and they sold back to Japan for $11K, around 12 months ago.

End Housings generally can be restored either by skimming or by a crowd in Canada that ceramic coat them, rotor housings cant, which makes the rotor housings pretty critical to rebuilding an original motor that will run.

yea ill probably end up finding some 12a NOS housings for my rx7 eventually. are you actually going to put the original cosmo engine back together or just hoard all the parts? if you put it together whos going to build it? Glenn Munro?

i.ve sold a few bits to wim while i was in the uk. Wim has loads of stuff stashed away but can be hard to get stuff off. He keeps changing his mind..

I wonder if the new 16x motor (whenever it comes out..) is the same diameter as the 13a or bigger still?

• 1 year later...

wow bro, you are one lucky bugger.. only ever seen one in the flesh and that was in south melbourne parked outside a pub..

This and the 2000gt have to be the two most desirable cars to come out of Japan..  good stuff