Esprit's '01 Exige Over-winter refresh

Esprit

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fuckin' hell. Nice guys really do finish last. You couldn't have built this thing better, and it still bit you in the arse. should've jsut bodged it and you'd never even have a breakdown :( such is life.

I guess at least it didn't happen out on the road where you may have had it all go a lot more pear shaped on you.

find a shed and tuck her away mate. I'm sure you'll come back to her some day.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'll get back to it at some point. I'm hoping to navigate myself through a first home purchase and hope that I end up with a garage I can use to work on it in.

Initially the damage looks minimal to nil, thankfully oil fires burn cool, so it's mainly a mess to clean up, which will take a good few weekends in the garage. At least that's what I hope.

Sucks dude. As Cam said though, much better killing something in a controlled environment than out on the track / street / middle of nowhere. Ya can't find the weak points until they break.

May I suggest, if the loom and everything is fine, just give it a quick blast off and try another dyno run, and worry about a full cleanup later? That's what I'd do, but I'm not that big a perfectionist. If I can't see it it ain't a problem etc.

Even if you do park it up for a while, I'd say get in there now and drown it in degreaser etc and give it a hose down. Will be a prick to clean up in X months time I reckon.

+1 for terrible luck and demoralization etc, good on you for remaining so positive/optimistic throughout it all, I'd be pretty dark by this point.

+1 for terrible luck and demoralization etc, good on you for remaining so positive/optimistic throughout it all, I'd be pretty dark by this point.

make that +2,i cant believe how much trouble such an immaculately built car has caused you,i would have pulled the pin long ago :(

yeah man some form of cleandown now will help. and choice that you're still interested in getting back into it.

hopefully it's all just smoke staining and superficial stuff. I guess if you strip the loom off it before you store it, it'll give you something to inspect before perhaps firing it up

hell, you could even take a project turn and just roll it as is, like it's been on fire and you don't even give a shit :P

Wow, just... :shock:

The nightmare I had with my RX-7 doesn't even factor compared to your dramas with the Exige thus far George... but as others have said, I'm so, so glad that I listened to reason and held on to it, instead of ragequitting and sawing the car in half to sell as parts once I found out the chassis was bent (like a banana, hah)

over the course of two years I managed to save up enough dosh to finally get it sorted, so if you have the forbearance and the ability to store the Lotus somewhere out of sight and out of mind... I say do it!

Unfortunately my shed is gonna be chocka with my own junkheaps otherwise I would most definitely offer to house it, but there may be other Auckland OS members with storage space available while you hunt for property?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I hope that everyone has had a great Christmas and is now full of Christmas cheer and the holiday spirit.

I've decided to stick around Auckland these holidays to look after Toni, who has had to go into hospital for a couple of weeks, and also get back to work on the Lotus.

I've already gotten in some new sound deadening foam and heat reflective material from the USA, and the only thing missing, until yesterday had been the car.

I'd left the car out at Toni's parents place under a sheet since the fire, unable to look at it but yesterday I ventured out there with my friend Richy to take a look.

We got the car out of the garage and mopped up the various puddles of oil that had accumulated and set about examining the damage.

Most of the oil that got out (about 0.7litres judging by the dipstick) seems to have burned off directly from the exhaust manifold or on the firewall. The good news is that other than a couple of patches of the firewall heatshield that obviously got scorched, there seems to be no damage at all to anything else. The engine bay seems to just be very soaked with oil.

We then got the car topped back up with oil (from about 2/3 of the way down the dipstick) then we started it and left it idling for 15 minutes. There was a lot of smoke as the oil gradually burned off the manifold and exhaust, but even though we were standing by with hoses and extinguishers, there was little drama. The engine seemed to sound fine, no knock or concerning noises whatsoever.

After that, I drove the car back to my workshop where I can pull it to bits and fix it up again. Thankfully the drive back was uneventful, the car runs as it should, feels just like it did before the fire and makes no concerning noises... The datalogging seems to have been right in telling us the engine's just fine. MASSIVE relief.

So that's where we are now. Today I'll start stripping the car down and getting it up in the air so that I can work on it again, then the clean-up begins. They have a special on cans of degreaser at SuperCheap Auto today.... maybe that's an omen.

Welcome back everybody and here's to a better 2012 than 2011... a year I'd sooner forget.