For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Ja1lb8 said:

Thanks for that.  Still unsure  as to requirements because car has never been on the road in nz.   Might just put them all in and see what comes of it. An easy fix if there no good

Date of first reg in New Zealand will be when you do, i.e. after 1 April 2002 so this is the relevant table.

If it was manufactured pre- 31 October 1979 it is only required to have static lap/diagonal in the front outer positions.

Capture.JPG

• Like 3
Just now, Bling said:

Someone was asking about bumpers too too far back, could have same answer. I'd go look, but I just got assigned trench digging duty.

Was probably me cos memory is shit, but I was too lazy to go back for a look....

Is there any way to access previous WOF check results for a car? If significant faults are logged against the plate to prevent you from bodgying the car up then going around the corner to the next mechanic, is there any way to access that info, as a new owner of the car?

On a completely separate note, some wonderful previous owner appears to have jacked a vehicle of mine by the frame rails (unibody car). How much rail damage might I reasonably get away with?

Just now, gibbon said:

Is there any way to access previous WOF check results for a car? If significant faults are logged against the plate to prevent you from bodgying the car up then going around the corner to the next mechanic, is there any way to access that info, as a new owner of the car?

On a completely separate note, some wonderful previous owner appears to have jacked a vehicle of mine by the frame rails (unibody car). How much rail damage might I reasonably get away with?

Quite a bit...

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/entry-certification/reference-materials/eg-structural-damage-corrosion/under-body-damage-crushing-of-floor-pan-stiffening-members

Just now, Nominal said:

That one comes up quite a bit from nob garages failing Mx5s on crushed floor stiffeners - if it’s not a chassis rail it’s a floor stiffener and those photos show way worse damage than what is getting failed 

Just now, Nominal said:

Ah sweet mine is nowhere near that bad... thought about getting it repaired but didn't want to draw any more attention to it. And yeah in retrospect it's a floor stiffener not a chassis rail... be a bit of a shit chassis rail if it folded up like that... even the sills are thicker 

5 hours ago, EpochNZ said:

Another question for the gestalt (If I can be so bold):

So if I read this correctly, I can run my 1973 Saab without bumpers?

image.png.913c76748c2175283c34e74e106f8c05.png

Yes as long as there is no sharp edges that could damage a pedestrian 

• Like 2
Just now, Transom said:

That one comes up quite a bit from nob garages failing Mx5s on crushed floor stiffeners - if it’s not a chassis rail it’s a floor stiffener and those photos show way worse damage than what is getting failed 

To be fair, the wof manual does not have ^ those pics in it, they are in the entry certifier section. When you read the wording in the wof virm and went by that, all those examples would fail I would think 

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/vehicle-structure/structure-incl2.-frontal-impact

Just now, cletus said:

Yes as long as there is no sharp edges that could damage a pedestrian 

So exposed spinning lawn mower blades might not get past then....

Cheers dude, work can now continue with a certain goal in mind.

22 minutes ago, cletus said:

To be fair, the wof manual does not have ^ those pics in it, they are in the entry certifier section. When you read the wording in the wof virm and went by that, all those examples would fail I would think 

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/vehicle-structure/structure-incl2.-frontal-impact

Good point. I recall being surprised with those pics were first linked. Seems odd that the standards would be different for entry/in-service though

36 minutes ago, Transom said:

Yeah some garages are passing fully smashed in rails and some are failing them with a minor dent - it’s so inconsistent 

It seems like the main discrepancy is over what's considered "structural" - certainly the wee diagram supplied by the WOF guidelines seems to indicate that practically anything in, on or near the car's body is structural, which isn't helping

2 hours ago, Nominal said:

Good point. I recall being surprised with those pics were first linked. Seems odd that the standards would be different for entry/in-service though

The images say a repair cert isn't required, but is that the same as the damage doesn't need to be repaired? Would they still expect the damage to be repaired but it doesn't need to be up to a "structural" standard?