For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of those bump stops you get in a strut kit are generic, some don't even work and get tossed. I've had them blow apart because they are too long. I'll give them a trim....if it's got a boot you can't see them anyway...or even if they are fitted.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 18:25, cletus said:

Technically,  modifying or replacing bump stops with non standard ones, requires cert. 

But, a scallywag with no regard to following the rules of the land,

an outlaw if you will,

would likely get away with it if it looked standard. 

The aforementioned scallywag should be careful that a replacement shorter bump stop still limits the travel before the driveshaft hits the tunnel though  

Thanks for this, it's shaping up to be a lot of measuring and hassle for the sake of lowering the car another 3cm haha. My old man suggested some bags of cement in the boot, might be an easier way to go!

On 14/12/2022 at 11:22, Shakotom said:

No welding of steering or suspension components

but can I weld new mounts for brake hoses/abs lines to the bottom of a adjustable coilover body? - mounts for these differs from what car needs

Yep if it's just a steel coilover body that's fine 

Ball joint spacers.. looking at replacing the rear leaves in the Hilux with some slightly higher heavy duty ones (40 or 50mm max-more for load capability than lift). If the front end is drastically lower once this is done I was thinking about winding the torsion bars up to get the front end closer to the rear height. I've read ball joint spacers are popular to correct the angles which winding the T-bars up will create, and prevent the ride from becoming harsh. Are they legal? They would only be maybe 25mm. 

Edit: 2003 4WD Hilux if that matters.

Not usually something that can be certified 

Because of the extra leverage on the mount points they often end up cracking the arm 

Ages ago I did a cert on a lifted Colorado that had spacers, I put a gopro on the top suspension arm and it flexed an alarming amount with a ball joint spacer fitted 

20220413_144907.jpg

20220413_144941.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cletus said:

Not usually something that can be certified 

Because of the extra leverage on the mount points they often end up cracking the arm 

Ages ago I did a cert on a lifted Colorado that had spacers, I put a gopro on the top suspension arm and it flexed an alarming amount with a ball joint spacer fitted 

20220413_144907.jpg

20220413_144941.jpg

Thanks that's exactly the clarification I was looking for. Definitely doesn't sound worthwhile.

• Like 1

I know there aren't too many vintage people here but does anyone know anything about a comment in the presidents message section of Beaded Wheels (page 4) saying there is a new category of certifiers expressly for pre 1990 vehicles?

It doesn't sound like it was anything they were involved in, they were just told about it at a meeting they say, and that it should help getting deregistered pre 1990 vehicles back on the road. It mentions new certifiers in place by mid 2023 and not much else really.

I know there are already rules around exemptions for pre 1990 vehicles (https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/vehicle-types/vehicle-classes-and-standards/exceptions-to-the-standards/) but that's all I have found so far on NZTAs site.

I can't find anything on the LVVTA site about it at all. I was going to ring them to ask but being the end of the year I imagine they are mad busy so thought I would ask here first.

Thanks,

Simon

I'm going to say if you DIY'd that, you'd be out of luck, doesn't look to be past the rear opening of the door. Maybe it works as it's pointed away from the opening. Full marks for the straight parking though.

It's illegal to take photos with an iPad with your dog hanging out the window too. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Does it matter if a previous owner has painted over my VIN plate? Doesnt look tampered with, and has been there since about 1995, but was painted at some point along with various other bits under the bonnet.

Plates are on hold, so it's just for a WOF.

IMG_20210215_225003.jpg