anglia4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy shitbags. I just opened a fucking massive can of worms :lol:

Bolted the new bars onto my bike and they look ace!

Broke 3 brittle old wires on the controls :x

Have to sand some of the nice paint off my flash new bars cos its too thick and the throttle won't return :x

Clutch cable, brake hose and all the control wiring is now way too long :x

Should be sweet by the weekend though for the meet in the middle (except for everything being too long, it can just stay that way for a little while).

Need to find a modern donor bike with a single vented front disc brake on a bolt off hub, then I can pinch the entire brake setup and get nice modern brake and clutch levers too.

Had a productive couple of hours in the shed today.

Managed to get the throttle to return properly, got all the controls mounted and the bars all finished.

Also managed to finish making my headlight mounts:

IMG161.jpg

IMG163.jpg

IMG164.jpg

Ultimately I would like to mount the light lower, but that will be in phase two when I re-wire it, get a new headlight with a nicer bucket and get smaller gauges that I can mount lower with the headlight.

The smaller indicators work sweet as considering they were like $5 a pair

• 1 month later...

Have just adjusted the angle of the bars, they now point forward rather than down. Way more comfy and looks heaps better too.

Stumbled across something on trademe last night that I just couldn't resist :lol:

HAqyT7POUUU

LUVIT 8)

:shock:

IMG197.jpg

Taking off those enormous indicators and tail light has totally transformed the bike already haha. The amount of weight in the tail light assemble is phenomenal!

Followed up my minor unbolting session with some creative lubrication

IMG198.jpg

And then ripped into the CAD (Cardboard Aided Design)

IMG199.jpg

IMG201.jpg

Have altered the CAD design since that photo. More to come when Maru-so returns with his power drill. :P

thats looking very nice!

be wary of your tail cone developing a tunnel look, try to get even a slight amount of taper down the whole length.

Yeah thats what I've changed. I've tried to make it follow a simmilar angle to the tank

Fuckit. Just wrote an update then hit the wrong button and deleted it :twisted:

Photos will do

DSCF5894.jpg

DSCF5895.jpg

DSCF5896.jpg

I think I might have to cut out more around this bit to make room for the wheel to go up into the guard.

I cut up an old chair that had been living outside

DSCF5897.jpg

DSCF5898.jpg

DSCF5899.jpg

DSCF5901.jpg

DSCF5903.jpg

DSCF5904.jpg

DSCF5905.jpg

DSCF5902.jpg

DSCF5908.jpg

Got a bit more to do to finish it. Its far from perfect but I'm pretty happy with it considering the entire plan just kept evolving as I went. Itldo

Seat came out pretty hory but I'm not too worried at this stage. Its not bad for mark 1 and it changes the style of the bike towards what i'm trying to achieve.

Got into the shed for a bit of a bike session tonight

DSCF5918.jpg

Got some drag bars off chris to try

DSCF5919.jpg

I really like them, but they are a little narrow and I'm having trouble with that fucking huge master cylinder and switch blocks not fitting. Going to try and find some smaller gear to put on and try it again.

DSCF5920.jpg

DSCF5921.jpg

DSCF5922.jpg

In the mean time to try and make it fit I've had to make it a bit moto

DSCF5924.jpg

DSCF5925.jpg

DSCF5926.jpg

also made up a blank for the tacho drive hole in the head so I will be able to ride it to bike night again this week 8)

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't going to post this up yet incase it turns out to be a total fuck-up but its going too well at the moment and I'm really excited about it.

Mark II

Day 1

DSCF5944.jpg

Went and picked up some sheet metal, guy hands it to me and says "be careful, its really sharp" - Yeah yeah sweet as... ~30seconds later/nekminit big cut on my finger :doubt:

DSCF5945.jpg

Luckily I kept the cardboard templates from Mark I, so I trimmed them up a bit. Have decided to grow some balls and chop off the old seat mounts and latch, this will allow me to run a much narrower seat.

Then the lightening got out of my disposable warehouse jigsaw, you can see why in the pic... So off to the wh and got another.

DSCF5948.jpg

I think the new shape is alot better, I've tried to better follow the lines and shapes of the tank.

DSCF5951.jpg

DSCF5955.jpg

DSCF5952.jpg

DSCF5954.jpg

DSCF5953.jpg

I busted out the files and sand paper and put a radius on my plywood template to dress the edges over and try and get a nice corner.

DSCF5956.jpg

DSCF5957.jpg

DSCF5958.jpg

DSCF5963.jpg

Pretty stoked with how that came out.

Day 2

Cut a section out for the seat pan, I have done the same radius along the edge of that ply template too.

DSCF5968.jpg

DSCF5969.jpg

Then got a block the right thickness and screwed it to the back. Dressed the edge over that as tightly as I could.

DSCF5970.jpg

DSCF5971.jpg

Then trimmed it and dressed it over the rest of the way.

DSCF5973.jpg

DSCF5975.jpg

DSCF5977.jpg

Its come up with a really nice edge. About 769786987 times better than I was expecting for the first attempt.

Its made it really rigid along its length as well which is good, if I do a good job of it all I won't even need the ply board underneath.

That is all for now

Haha that would be way to easy!

I always wanted to build one from steel just to see if I could and say I had.

If this one doesn't work I'll try another approach but will keep working with steel and filler

I'm thinking about giving up on trying to keep it rideable, maybe do a ride or two after I finish this seat and then strip it for a full frame re-spray etc. Might start taking this build a little more seriously and try and bring home a trophy in the cafe racer class at the bikes blues and hot cars show in new plymouth next feb.

Good work Mr 4, that tail is looking awesome, way better than Mark I. Going narrower with the seat will make a big difference too; the standard width rivals most Waka's.

Steel will be way better than fibreglass aswell (If you can make it work) mine's fibreglass and it's gay...

Keep up the good work but don't get your hopes up about that trophy, it's mine.

I'll try to start a post of your competition soon...