Battery drill/dugga recommendations

ThePog

6 hours ago, Hemi said:

Had Hitachi to start with but decided to switch to Milwaukee around 17' Nothing wrong with Hitachi but I reckon maybe it was going through the transition to hikoki so the range wasnt that great hence going to Milwaukee. 
man i rate Milwaukee hard, good batteries ( had a couple issue with the 6ah 12v and 12 ah 18v but they were replaced under warranty) the skins have all been mint. ive dropped them from multi metre height and they dont give a fuck.
only downside is the batteries where if they take too much punsihment the tiny screw posts crack and the top seperates from the bottom. 
easily fixed by using some plastic weld.
Also every store seems to have milwaukee so support is pretty easy. 

i have like 20+ skins now. pretty happy with them tbh

They feel pretty chunky tbh.

Apparently the rep has my number now, it is a downhill slope.

• Haha 2

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need the 125mm grinder now too. Once you have one, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. 

That is literally the only thing I miss about my old job.  

But not being "in trade" as such, I cannot justify the expense of such quality tools. All my gear is Ozito/Rockwell (shop series) better than nothing. But it would be in the skip in three weeks given the treatment my Milwaukee gear suffered at work.

• Like 1

The thing is I have been 98% desk based for a while now, no time to even quote the workshop jobs, but I go down and do shit in the shed every night so still need the kit, and will need it for when the cad dries up and i can build stuff again.

There was a discussion with the financial controller about whether I actually needed a drill, I said it would be exactly like having to live your normal life but without a bed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

For what it’s worth… 

I’m a full time mechanic and a cheap bastard. I use a Ryobi 18v rattle gun at work, mainly because I already had batteries. I did have the cheaper brushed model that lasted 18 months until I wore it out. Took it back to Bunnings with no receipt and got a warranty claim. (Manufacture date is stamped on the tool). I paid the difference and got a “HP Blushless”. That meant I got a new 6 year warranty. I have used and abused it for a year so far without fault. I sure it’s not as great as a more expensive brand, but it does what it should.

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/ryobi-18v-one-hp-brushless-mid-torque-impact-wrench-skin-only_p0294858

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Positive Ape said:

You didn't consider the 40v Makita stuff? 

Too many Milwaukee recommendations, here and elsewhere.

16 minutes ago, Bling said:

Oh yeah, probably can redeem a free battery via redemption with that kit, the seller give you the info?

There was mention of that, I normally wouldn't let a rep have my my number but an extra battery never goes amiss.

Plus I imagine there is more to buy.

We have Hitachi Hikoki at work the guys thrash the living fark out of it. Use it way beyond what it's ment for rather than running extention lead out. Only prob with the new 36v stuff is ya 5ah 18v batt is now a 2.5ah 36v batt.

Might try the red stuff next.

13 hours ago, AllTorque said:

For what it’s worth… 

I’m a full time mechanic and a cheap bastard. I use a Ryobi 18v rattle gun at work, mainly because I already had batteries. I did have the cheaper brushed model that lasted 18 months until I wore it out. Took it back to Bunnings with no receipt and got a warranty claim. (Manufacture date is stamped on the tool). I paid the difference and got a “HP Blushless”. That meant I got a new 6 year warranty. I have used and abused it for a year so far without fault. I sure it’s not as great as a more expensive brand, but it does what it should.

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/ryobi-18v-one-hp-brushless-mid-torque-impact-wrench-skin-only_p0294858

I get poo-pood a bit for using Ryobi, but goddam I have put mine through some decent abuse and they still keep going. Yet to have a hub bolt the impact hasn't removed. Hell, my folding light has lost various bits of its casing from being dropped, kicked, covered in welding spatter etc, and it still goes hard. A+ would trade again for the money.

• Like 5

On 09/04/2023 at 06:31, ajg193 said:

Replaced Ryobi with Makita

I did the same a few weeks ago. My three or five year old Ryobi tools were OK but wore out. The brand new Ryobi tools I replaced the worn out ones with are are utter rubbish and my 5ah batteries are all failing too. So disappointing. Ryobi has gone bad.

So.... I went for the $3.7k 40v Makita set and the circular saw is powerful but 100% hideous to use. I hate it and can't cut anything accurate with it due to the stupid safety button and the impossibly stiff blade guard. It's also hard to see the blade through the foot.  It's a dumb design thought out by lawyers and not builders.

And then after ~ four hours use one of the two impact drivers stopped working. It just beeps and won't turn. The rest of the Makita 40v tools in my set also have way too many 'software' adjustable settings for my tastes. I suspect they'll be unreliable too. Pretty gutted with Makita TBH. Would not trade again.... and returning the faulty impact driver is hard from Chatham Island

17 minutes ago, Unclejake said:

I did the same a few weeks ago. My three or five year old Ryobi tools were OK but wore out. The brand new Ryobi tools I replaced the worn out ones with are are utter rubbish and my 5ah batteries are all failing too. So disappointing. Ryobi has gone bad.

So.... I went for the $3.7k 40v Makita set and the circular saw is powerful but 100% hideous to use. I hate it and can't cut anything accurate with it due to the stupid safety button and the impossibly stiff blade guard. It's also hard to see the blade through the foot.  It's a dumb design thought out by lawyers and not builders.

And then after ~ four hours use one of the two impact drivers stopped working. It just beeps and won't turn. The rest of the Makita 40v tools in my set also have way too many 'software' adjustable settings for my tastes. I suspect they'll be unreliable too. Pretty gutted with Makita TBH. Would not trade again.... and returning the faulty impact driver is hard from Chatham Island

That's a bit shit. I'm happy with the 18v gear so far, no complaints at all. I guess the saw can get a little top heavy and if you don't place it down right it will fall over, but apart from that it is great. They seem to have worked all the bugs out of the 680 in the last few years, no rattles or problems with guards retracting.

I guess the 40V (actually 36 but they love marketing wank) is still quite new and hasn't had all the bugs worked out yet.

But yeah, my Ryobi gear was all 2015/16 stuff and was actually quite good for what it was, the new ryobi stuff doesn't look half as well built

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rusty360 said:

Half the run time on the 36v compared to the 18v thou?

2.5ah vs 5.0ah

Or I Could be completely wrong

Double the voltage, double the current, 4x the power

/but they're probably not needing 4x the power so ah is likely halfed? 

6 minutes ago, datlow said:

Double the voltage, double the current, 4x the power

/but they're probably not needing 4x the power so ah is likely halfed? 

Humm I'm confused which doesn't take much.

36v is 2.5amp/hour batt.

18v is 5.0amp/hour batt.

18v should last twice as long?