Maruia Moped Melee, 10, 11, 12, March, 2023

RUNAMUCK

2 hours ago, Leone said:

loganburn is worth it for the bus.

Are you even riding? 

I don't consider it worth the extra hour or more and estimated 60+km to an already 9 hour 345km ride

Trust me, I looked into it 

• Thanks 3

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Mof said:

Are you even riding? 

I don't consider it worth the extra hour or more and estimated 60+km to an already 9 hour 345km ride

Trust me, I looked into it 

Altho i dont have suitable transport (yet...something might pop up with the right price point that would do 75KMs/hr), i wouldnt rule a trip out and if i was going on a big roady (similar to this or nats) then id like to hit as many cool spots/things as possible.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leone said:

Altho i dont have suitable transport (yet...something might pop up with the right price point that would do 75KMs/hr), i wouldnt rule a trip out and if i was going on a big roady (similar to this or nats) then id like to hit as many cool spots/things as possible.

Buy a bike, get some seat time, and join us!

One of us!

One of us!

One of us!

• Like 2

Some haven't ridden long distances on Small Bikes and it shows. The fellas organising this trip have aced it more than once now - and as someone whos also organised long trips, people saying hey lets do this and this and this and this is annoying. Whilst it might be fun to do extra stuff, wrangling a group of excitable men on small bikes is a mission in itself without people disappearing to see random stuff along the way. 

Just get an NBC110 and go do some mountain skids with cool people. Turn up with a bike, book some accommodation - they'll have the rest sorted. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 10/04/2023 at 08:22, RUNAMUCK said:

I'm happy to announce that a hardy soul (raving lunatic) has successfully completed a preliminary test run of next years route. The pictures were fantastic. But reportedly it's some proper gnarly "trails"/brutally long days riding.

More info later.

Do you have any dates planned for this must attend 2024 Melee I can pencil in??

2 hours ago, Mop Head said:

Some haven't ridden long distances on Small Bikes and it shows. The fellas organising this trip have aced it more than once now - and as someone whos also organised long trips, people saying hey lets do this and this and this and this is annoying. Whilst it might be fun to do extra stuff, wrangling a group of excitable men on small bikes is a mission in itself without people disappearing to see random stuff along the way. 

Just get an NBC110 and go do some mountain skids with cool people. Turn up with a bike, book some accommodation - they'll have the rest sorted. 

nothing in the SI on Trademe, any other recomendations for a bare minimum bike on a budget?

Does look like slim pickings right now

There's a $900 gn125

This would be rad, rego on hold, but budget wise not fantastic

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/classic-vintage/honda/listing/4081538802

image.png.0887e2c64cc06711d9e06e53d40bb5a5.png

I went on a bike quote site a month ago for Dunedin to Auckland and they kept dropping it till around $500 

• Like 2

Yeah there's more options for byo plate

Keep an eye on hustle live for dealz

@TimShadboltfan27

One foggy morning I applied too much throttle on my gn250 at a T intersection. 

Lit the rear wheel up and I very slowly pirouetted in front of an oncoming lorry full of bridge parts, thankfully the tyre heated up and I got traction at thr last minute

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

So no more CT110s? Don’t burn me, but the first year was great because pretty much all the bikes were similarly paced. It’s more noticeable how slow the smaller bikes are now with big wheeled trial/farm bikes. I agree with the earlier comment about it being called the M***** Moped Melee not being so fitting anymore. I enjoy it because the true small bikes are a challenge. I’ve got big dirt bikes, but they’re made to do this, and that’s the point, I thought. I don’t want to ride my XR500, I want to struggle on inappropriately undersized bikes. My 2c. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Whoopeecock said:

So no more CT110s? Don’t burn me, but the first year was great because pretty much all the bikes were similarly paced. It’s more noticeable how slow the smaller bikes are now with big wheeled trial/farm bikes. I agree with the earlier comment about it being called the M***** Moped Melee not being so fitting anymore. I enjoy it because the true small bikes are a challenge. I’ve got big dirt bikes, but they’re made to do this, and that’s the point, I thought. I don’t want to ride my XR500, I want to struggle on inappropriately undersized bikes. My 2c. 

CT110s have never been an issue.