Jump to content

Torque Wrenchs


johnny.race
 Share

Recommended Posts

@Muncie Mate, are you still working in the field that fucks around with these things? If so, question - I've noticed that when a 1/2" torque wrench (tw) is rated above around the 150ft/lbs mark the price goes up. I need something 1/2" in the 200ft/lbs range and see that 3/4" tw's that are priced near the same as the 150ft 1/2" ones do this easily. I was wondering if using a 3/4 to 1/2" adapter on a 3/4" tw would still work alright for measuring torque in general use. It should aye?

I was/am looking at something from Teng Tools around the $320 range. Does this level of spend get me something that is ok? Is Teng Tools tw's ok do you know? I'm currently using a Warren Brown deflecting beam and its been very good for/to me but tops out at 150. Haha, can I machine out that slot a little more and call it 200? :)) Cheers bro. 

You do work with these things aye? Or did I read one of your posts wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey man yup still working on this gear might be able to source you one on my staff discount.

1/2" drive top out at 350nM for the flash brands its basically because the square drive will shear off. the cheaper wrenches use softer metal so are lower capacity again, cheap or not they all do same job accuracy wise genuinely surprised how accurate some of the cheap wrenches are.

In saying that steer clear of Toptul its the brand that gives me most issues.

Teng are good but the ratchet assembly are a little fragile if you use them top of the dial all the time, so go overkill when buying.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been calibrating and repairing these things for about a decade now.

Warren & Brown are about as good as it gets next is Norbar then Teng.  I own w&b and Norbar, they can be rebuilt parts are cheap and available and are fully adjustable. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

adaptors dont straight up make the reading wrong, but certainly add to potential for other forces to come into play than just twisting. This can certainly cause incorrect/less actual torque to the fastener. a bit like installing dry vs various types of lubes

reality is many cases you have to use extensions etc to reach certain fasteners, just have try to do your best to only apply torque and minimise out of plane/bending forces.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Muncie said:

Been calibrating and repairing these things for about a decade now.

Warren & Brown are about as good as it gets next is Norbar then Teng.  I own w&b and Norbar, they can be rebuilt parts are cheap and available and are fully adjustable. 

 

Norbar is the shit..  Have a 1/2" one way ratchet reversible drive, been well over 200ft/lbs doesn't even blink (does click tho) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Norbar through repco is the ticket.

Have them regularly calibrated/checked and never had them out, nice weight and adjustability - even the ratcheting gears are nice.

Have had king tony, teng, jonnesway, powerbuilt and none of them lasted. Am yet to replace a Norbar

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Testament said:

adaptors dont straight up make the reading wrong, but certainly add to potential for other forces to come into play than just twisting. This can certainly cause incorrect/less actual torque to the fastener. a bit like installing dry vs various types of lubes

reality is many cases you have to use extensions etc to reach certain fasteners, just have try to do your best to only apply torque and minimise out of plane/bending forces.

A stubby adapter like a 3/4 to 1/2 wont do too much on a manual wrench a long extension isnt ideal but if you have to for access id say its ok. On a impact tool though holy shit you can lose half of your torque output through 2 adapters let alone a extension.

I work for HTC we aren't an agent but we service norbar gear and carry parts the guy at Norbar is helpful as with parts and any technical questions on new stuff.... hes ex HTC as it turns out.

If anyone is after warren and brown gear http://www.autoagencies.co.nz/ down south is best priced ive found.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, datlow said:

Where would you place stahlwille?

we get good pricing one them and don’t recall too many ever failing other than ones that have probably been dropped from height?

I bloody love the Stahlwille Manoskop torque wrenches easy to set and they unload when they get to torque. Really nice mechanism but ultra spendy. Their digital stuff is cool but i do have a box of dead ones at work that have come in from various BMW shops.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, datlow said:

Where would you place stahlwille?

we get good pricing one them and don’t recall too many ever failing other than ones that have probably been dropped from height?

Back to where id place them? Level with my top 3 their a great tool look basic but are quite a clever design. I cant afford one also been a consideration.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Muncie said:

 

I work for HTC we aren't an agent but we service norbar gear and carry parts the guy at Norbar is helpful as with parts and any technical questions on new stuff.... hes ex HTC as it turns out.

 

 

That would be Damien? @OSM Garage

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing to consider is that a 3/4 wrench for high torque will really struggle at the bottom end.

You may need to get two wrenches if you aren't always doing big stuff.

 

My main complaint about my Teng wrenches is that my half inch one only goes down to 40 Nm, while my 1/4" only goes up to 25 Nm.

 

Modifying your deflecting beam wrench to let it bend to higher torques probably isn't a good idea, you will risk getting into the nonlinear response part of the material - maybe even permanently bending it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...