johnnyfive

Te Urewera Undertaking, 2019 Nov 29th, 30th, Dec 1st.

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, MopedNZ said:

Re: Motu road. Done some reading on it lately and it's blown my mind a wee bit. 

It was used as a part of the WRC till the mid 90's. The Motu was often the stage that decided the championship winner. 

Fastest time ever was Colin McRae in a Subaru in 1994: 37m 21s from end to end - all 47km. Jesus thats quick. 

It was so renowned in the world rally scene that when McRaes pace notes from the Motu came up for auction people all around the world were bidding on them. Ken Block tried to win them but eventually pulled out and never succeeded in winning the auction. Though when he came to NZ he still went down to the Motu and had a casual drive on it to take in the perfection that is Motu. 
 

  Hide contents

 


image.png.e2a24d77dfbc5421168a2135cc194fbb.png

Soz for spam. Just never realised how well known it was. Nice.  Also soz for ranger. 

 

 

The first gravel road we rode on (Stanley rd) after leaving J5's house was also part of the WRC back in the day. I got to go to a night stage there when I was a kid, with my oldest brother.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Vintage Grumble said:

The first gravel road we rode on (Stanley rd) after leaving J5's house was also part of the WRC back in the day. I got to go to a night stage there when I was a kid, with my oldest brother.

Man those were the days of WRC, i remember many a time running down a gravel road in the dark between rally cars to exit a stage. Back when they used to night time rally. I knew about the Motu but probably too long ago for me to remember being there. /spam

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MopedNZ said:

PPSC just shoved mircrowave pizzas between the barrel and carb on their weapons. Such a great Kiwi idea. Approx 2 hours riding and your pizza is nice and dusty for road side consumption with either a super fancy craft beer or a lion brown. No in between, 

Midge lost like three pies off the cb hah

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RIP Irvines mince and cheese; we are poorer for having lost his robust mincy taste. 

my leaning tower haiwaiian microwave special was shortly dismissed after succumbing to the Stanley Road corrugations. we will be back next year with a 12v microwave oven mounted in a pannier bag powered off the stator 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MopedNZ said:

Re: Motu road. Done some reading on it lately and it's blown my mind a wee bit. 

It was used as a part of the WRC till the mid 90's. The Motu was often the stage that decided the championship winner. 

Fastest time ever was Colin McRae in a Subaru in 1994: 37m 21s from end to end - all 47km. Jesus thats quick. 

It was so renowned in the world rally scene that when McRaes pace notes from the Motu came up for auction people all around the world were bidding on them. Ken Block tried to win them but eventually pulled out and never succeeded in winning the auction. Though when he came to NZ he still went down to the Motu and had a casual drive on it to take in the perfection that is Motu. 
 

  Hide contents

 


image.png.e2a24d77dfbc5421168a2135cc194fbb.png

Soz for spam. Just never realised how well known it was. Nice.  Also soz for ranger. 

 

 

I was a spectator on the Motu stage the year that McRae did that run. Awesome to watch.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TimShadboltfan27 said:

RIP Irvines mince and cheese; we are poorer for having lost his robust mincy taste. 

my leaning tower haiwaiian microwave special was shortly dismissed after succumbing to the Stanley Road corrugations. we will be back next year with a 12v microwave oven mounted in a pannier bag powered off the stator 

Buy 2 get 1 free tho m8

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More off topic but some sweet footage of WRC '95 with ol mate Colin showing how to drive the Motu proper fast

Also a lush mo on Possum Borne(RIP)

 

 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

80 pages of paces notes is hectic reading for the co-driver, better up your direction notes game for next year @johnnyfive

Also shows how to attack the Motu ford properly

Pin it to win it

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was about the only thing close to disappointment al weekend to be honest,after hearing about the lols from previous years

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GuyWithAviators said:

While all you hard ppsc cunce were sleeping in the lake us FOAMERS were living it large in our Chalet 

78075716_2507541939480529_8070741310123802624_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_eui2=AeF8gLEJ2JMcFXNsU-_WfhgjS6zzdRbziMsNpFFNTCzuBzvIfQYn1praVswAZB5z6tI96Sq0LDG1RoLctt64v2zfsv_6BAQMWwO1ku7B-m09bA&_nc_ohc=ZXTCwdY6NmkAQnED26OaQXfnYo7xw9NgHhMsR4afuetf7dIfhlPh4MAbQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fhlz1-1.fna&oh=b54d7342dfdfee37f4418f22985e9b84&oe=5E7E73DB

78589814_719303781888650_5874189490423070720_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_eui2=AeGVjaxC2m1unQyh4JqrfbscgXDviV3oMia7w8alJngWSxlUZzONZaR7-zMOy55IO25OS4jxRxJfJWhHKavH3aHhhfpCCD9Jq4knO3bbmEeFHw&_nc_ohc=ZwPOZ7eI8LYAQk392AuKPBzxMXdn6WGiid5S-6XL63YUokA5H5BhbOj4w&_nc_ht=scontent.fhlz1-1.fna&oh=a64bd6f9b032236c66670bd380ed8420&oe=5E845E59

Real men wear pink.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.