Welder buying spam

kws

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely there will be a few places around that will do refills. How much longer left on test for your cylinder? Depends how much gas you use I guess too, i'm a very infrequent user so my owner cylinder made sense. Last fill and test was 90 odd bucks and will last me a few years.

It needs a test too. I'm in the wairarapa so not much local. There used to be a paintball place down the road but they seem to have disappeared. 

I use more co2 for beer than welding. Now I think about it,  if I got a bunnings bottle (6kg) I could fill my 3.5kg bottle and about a dozen sodastream bottles that I use for the beer and then return the bunnings one and get my deposit back.

2 hours ago, cubastreet said:

It needs a test too. I'm in the wairarapa so not much local. There used to be a paintball place down the road but they seem to have disappeared. 

I use more co2 for beer than welding. Now I think about it,  if I got a bunnings bottle (6kg) I could fill my 3.5kg bottle and about a dozen sodastream bottles that I use for the beer and then return the bunnings one and get my deposit back.

I don't think Bunnings do CO2?

Got anywhere that services fire extinguishers etc local? If you do that will likely do CO2 filling, used to get my airgun tanks filled at the local one 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Time for me to get a new mig. I used to have a Lincoln 180 which I loved but gave to a mate (who promptly sold it) when I left Oz. 

I bought a Weldtech 200 from Proline which seemed ok but shat the bed and Proline werent interested in diagnosing or helping me repair it. Binned it. 

So I got a second hand Italian Stag 196 which has been good but it doesnt lay a smooth bead. I'm forever having to tinker with it and clear stoppages. 

I was threatening to get a 3 phase welder but Im limited to buying second hand. Can anybody recommend a 200 amp or so brand that lays a smooth bead before I get another Lincoln? Budget around 2-3k. Eyeing off this also as darkhorse but have never used a Cigweld. 

https://www.boc.co.nz/shop/en/nz/cigweld-transmig-185-ultra-multiprocess-welder-w1006185-p

omg, cant believe the cost of a welder these days.

I have the model below that too- it welds excellently. Must say I have bitched about it a fair bit but it's only become a dick since I switched to .6mm wire and I started getting birds nests but thats an easy fix (back to bigger wire)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nominal said:

I bought one of these a few years ago, seems to work fine for me. Only 180A but I mostly do light gauge stuff anyway.

Think it was about 1k back then, now $1500 incl.

BOC Smootharc 181 MIG Welder | BOC Gas

I rarely have my MIG set up higher than 50% power (Cebora 200) anyway so I'm not that fussed about heavy duty. I think the last heavy welding I did was on my dozer and I used stick for that and just poured in the rod. Fnar fnar. 

I was just looking up the BOC Smootharc actually. I think it is a direct competitor for the Cigweld

Does your smootharc lay a flat bead on the beefier stuff (say 3mm) and goes low enough for patch panels? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1