Thousand Dollar Supercar

Thousand Dollar Supercar's 1988 Jaguar XJ-S 3.6

2 hours ago, morkster said:

What the hell happened there? U-turn or skids or.. the car that hit it must have been motoring tho :-/

Looks to me (And this is purrrrre speculation) that the Jaguar got a bit of a fishtail on and crossed the median kerb onto the other side of the road, sitting broadside across the opposite lane. It's an 80km/h zone and being T-boned by a large stationwagon, which may have had little or no time to slow, gives this outcome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

Looks to me (And this is purrrrre speculation) that the Jaguar got a bit of a fishtail on and crossed the median kerb onto the other side of the road, sitting broadside across the opposite lane. It's an 80km/h zone and being T-boned by a large stationwagon, which may have had little or no time to slow, gives this outcome.

Happened in heavy rain, in the dark, with a 20 year old behind the wheel, on a moderate left hand corner over a crest. Sadly, I suspect you're right.  

2 minutes ago, flyingbrick said:

How did they even get yhe body out?

In big fatals like that it's fucking hard to get all the various bits of human out.  The body may have been ejected in the crash and or potentially able to be extracted easily at the time with jaws of life.  If he got shredded on impact though, there will be a lot of him all over the cabin. 

• Sad 1

I dont even know how people (at the scene or wreck purchasers) deal with that.

I never even walked through a wreckers yard and thought "someone may have died in that"

6 minutes ago, flyingbrick said:

I dont even know how people (at the scene or wreck purchasers) deal with that.

I never even walked through a wreckers yard and thought "someone may have died in that"

Ive cleaned a few cars that people have committed suicide in, made quite a mess too,  just part of life

• Like 1

I remember viewing the wreck of my father's first Elise after he was almost killed in it. Blood splatter everywhere. Some poor sucker had to clean that shit out..... he lived though and it's now an endurance racer down in Otago.

You're a lunatic of the highest order and for that I commend you! And now I'm looking at that xj in gisborne on trademe longingly... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 75swb said:

You're a lunatic of the highest order...

:D

2 hours ago, 75swb said:

... now I'm looking at that xj in gisborne on trademe longingly... 

You mean XJ-S, this one here?

940732263.jpg.9ba0f572ffd08fe3c25ce09b3b7922eb.jpg

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/jaguar/auction-1935049799.htm

A British racing green coupe with tan leather and a V12 for under $4k. :shock:

In a couple of hours you could have it looking a lot nicer (from a distance) than in the photos. That pre-HE V12 is meant to be the thirstiest engine in the world, but you can fix that for more than $4k with manual conversion kits or Chev V8 conversion kits depending on what shape the V12 is in.

You should absolutely purchase that rough, underused V12 XJ-S which has no history, no WOF and no reg, and then you should bring it to oldschool Nats. This would make you the grandmaster lunatic. :thumbleft:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Let's see if my temperamental French car sells this week... Then I can get the Jag to sit next to the landy leaking oil together! 

• Like 1

On 04/02/2019 at 19:30, 75swb said:

Let's see if my temperamental French car sells this week... Then I can get the Jag to sit next to the landy leaking oil together! 

Didja buy it? I see it's no longer listed, although there's always the newer green one in Northland for $6.5k.

The autocar buyers guide has this very "Jag owner" advice: "Check for misfires on the V12 by holding a bank note over the exhaust pipes and watching for uneven fluttering."

You might also want to test the cigarette lighter by rolling up a bank note and attempting to smoke it. :wink:

• Like 5

Sadly not! The guy coming to look at my Renault never showed, and I don't have space/finances/a patient enough partner to have more than one toy car at a time! 

• Sad 1