Turbo sizing?

Muncie

Hey trying to figure out a turbo for my rolling vx commodore project its a v6 supercharged one so am looking to pull the blower off and make up some steam pipe headers. Keen for a big single with head room to huff 18psi realistically it wont see much more than 5700 rpm to make it last, can tolerate a bit of lag but be good if its at full boost by 3000rpm. The old M90 will likely find itself on a triumph once this has been ticked off.

Im at the point of diminishing returns with my blower it needs intercooling to make more power theres options none are cheap 2500k upwards and then you have one boost all the time swapping pulleys all the time doesn't float my boat either. Was hoping a big single would be tractable but give it some long legs as at moment it's all punch but run it thru the gears and the power trails off due to everything getting so damn hot.

Garret 3576 from a FG falcon will run to 330kw, on my falcon it makes ~23psi at around 2300rpm.

Should go ok on a 3 point whatever litre Commodore too I would think. Easy too because internal Watergate.

More power? Go for a high flower gtx3582r down the track if you need 400kw+ capability.

What mjrstar said.

A second hand gt3540(also called gt3582r) from a coon will be sweet for a cheap starting point.

Engines are nearly the same size so performance will be similar.

I had one on my RFB 30det skyline and it was making over 20psi by 3000.

How much power do you want to make?

If i hit 300kw I'd be over the bloody moon. If i could turn it back down with a switch to 175kw to maintain a licence happier again, internal wastegate would definitely simplify everything just found a stainless set of single turbo headers on Ebay for around 600nz delivered.

What mjrstar said.

A second hand gt3540(also called gt3582r)

Engines are nearly the same size so performance will be similar.

I had one on my RFB 30det skyline and it was making over 20psi by 3000.

How much power do you want to make?

Perhaps it will be a little later to spool, the falcon employs some pretty agressive can timing changes to maximise spoolage.

There's a handy wee app called Garrett Boost Advisor that you can enter various details into and it spits out some turbo options for you.  I tend to use this as a basic guide then cross reference against other comparable turbos etc.  You have to enter a zip code which I assume is so they can figure out barometric pressure, so i just use a coastal US zip code.

Keep charger and put a massive turbo on it. Best of both worlds.

Water meth injection to keep it cool

Would love to twin charge it but then i would still need the supercharger intercooling setup before even thinking about which is a whole lot of money. Reality will prevail this time.... unless i hit big Wednesday then all bets are off.

Two of everything if i twin turbo it. Cant be assed with two manifolds wastegates turbos oil drains and oil lines and the exhaust it all adds up quickly in time and money. I kind of want it to be lazy for daily driving yet be able to scream when you mash it.

Ive already done brakes diff and wheels first so this is the final thing to complete my dream shitter.

Forgot to mention i have a uncle who races a class 1 offroader with a 4.2 litre ecotech so i get all his expensive parts deemed not up to his standards as in something newer and more expensive has come out and he must have it. His makes just under 300kw naturally aspirated so turbo'd should be a doddle with a few cast off speed bits from him.