fuel's smelly Magna

fuel

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's a shame they didn't get the V6 in the early shape over here, instead because of local content regulations and strong need to alter the original Japanese car for the Australian market they widened it by 65mm and continued to use the locally made Astron 2.6. 

Oh true, I just assumed the Aussies would be all over old Mr big block V3000. 

Sweet stuff though, what kind of benefits/advantages are there of club reg?

They got the V6 in the next shape Magna. The NZ V3000 was basically a clone of the lesser known Galant Duke V3000 which was sold in very few numbers in Japan due to its displacement and extra tax. Everything came in a complete knock down kit and only stuff like the interior, wiring looms and glass was manufactured in NZ, while in Aus the Magna has PBR brakes, Aussie made Bosch alternator, Aussie made engine and driveshafts etc.

Club reg allows you to drive it for 45 or 90 days of the year for a reduced price. You just fill in the dates you drive it in a log book and once you run out of your allocated entries that's it for the year. Costs $70/140 as opposed to $770+ for a years rego otherwise. Obviously is better suited to project cars and not daily drivers. The car must be 25+ years old, modifications approved and you have to be a financial member of a club.

• Like 3

Brown on brown on brown, I like it

Parts car has a sweet maroon interior which is in much better condition which I'll probably swap over when I can be bothered - I have to retrim the roof lining as it's dropping down so wondering what sort of crazy fabric I can get away with.

in Aus the Magna has PBR brakes, Aussie made Bosch alternator, Aussie made engine and driveshafts etc.

Oh yuck, just like the horrific Aussie assembled R31 Pintara/Skyline.

I nearly once bought a two-tone brown Starion GSR-III with maroon interior. Pine.

Yeah I'm wondering if throwing maroon into the mix is a good thing or not? The brown interior has heavily faded and while it looks good in the photos there are broken bits of plastic trim and the door cards are pulling away from the door (broken mounting tabs etc). The maroon interior is in much better condition and my parts car is identical to the one in this ad:

Speaking of the digital dash - I noticed after a couple days of getting it that the volt and oil pressure indicators were very faint compared to the rest. The parts car came with its original digital dash along with one other spare. As the parts car had nearly half the kms as mine I wanted to see how close the other spare dash was to my milage - it was sitting at 219,000kms which was great... if only the odometer and the clock were the same brightness as the rest of the cluster.. 

So in went the 124,000kms cluster which everything is all working fine. I just have to sort out bringing the kms back up to around 236,000kms or repair the original cluster.

IMG_6875_zpskmobqcv3.jpg

I has all of the warning lights

IMG_6873_zpscphptag0.jpg

IMG_6877_zpscgawi9am.jpg

I swapped in the bread bin pocket of the TN/TP Magna so now I have some space to shove a phone or something. Still has original radio/cassette with equaliser 

IMG_6876_zpspcfsmd3n.jpg

• Like 6

The digital dash rules. I wish there was a go-fast Galant / Magna of this era that was manual and either turbo or V6 and had a digital dashboard, but from what I've seen, Mitsubishi failed to make such a car. Models like the GSR-X seemed to only come with analogue gauges?

Please get louvres for yours, but don't paint them brown. ;)