fuel's smelly Magna

fuel

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that's disappointing. Would you rebuild the bottom end or just pick up another engine? hypereutectic pistons and chinabay turbos are cheap.

I took it for a long drive today it still smokes when idling but clears when driving, and it's no longer misfiring and pinking now that I put 20L of 98 in to mix with the 15L of 91 already in there. Given it idles smooth and pulls strong still I think the compression is still relatively even and high so I'm thinking it's the valve stem seals from the head sitting for a few months in the junk yard not getting used. I figured a '96 head with 110,000kms would be mint but I guess not!

Is there no room for a conventional setup?

No as the Astron engine was originally made as a longitudinal engine and is fairly long for a four cylinder. For the Astron II transverse engine the engine mounting bracket occupies the space where the water pump would have been. The Astron II was actually initially used in Chrysler K cars and minivans from 1981ish onwards and Chrysler got around the issue by slapping on the makeshift water pump arrangement and then Mitsubishi Australia copied the idea and ran with it.

• 1 month later...

Right so I took a punt with replacing valve stem seals and I no longer have the dreaded blue smoke following me around. 

I got to work by removing the rocker gear and using a cheap eBay valve spring compressor and a length of rope.

IMG_8519_zpsrqjkngxt.jpg

IMG_8520_zps5qclnmft.jpg

IMG_8521_zpsk9rsmoeq.jpg

IMG_8524_zps17mp02zl.jpg

Old crusty stem seals which had hardened

IMG_8525_zpsylwqzsfr.jpg

And the new which seems to have fixed it

IMG_8523_zpskjtmxamz.jpg

• Like 6