fuel's smelly Magna

fuel

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The digital dash rules. I wish there was a go-fast Galant / Magna of this era that was manual and either turbo or V6 and had a digital dashboard, but from what I've seen, Mitsubishi failed to make such a car. Models like the GSR-X seemed to only come with analogue gauges?

Please get louvres for yours, but don't paint them brown. ;)

I'm sure one of the Jap spec turbo models came with a digital dash. But sadly the Magna had just the one engine option though with EFI and manual they weren't too slow.

Because the Magna has been widened it shares the same platform dimensions as the AWD 90-94 shape Diamante and GTO of which both were just widened versions of the 6th gen Galant VR-4 anyway. I would say the Diamante/GTO subframes would bolt in and possible to repower with GTO's 3L turbo 6 and getrag 6 speed combination. The major hassle would be converting the rear to AWD.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

so I've still been working on this POS. I have done:

- fitted remote central locking and swapped out front door handles for ones without key barrels for someone to screw driver. Yes I have run power lines to the boot if I get a flat battery etc

- fitted power mirrors and permanent hidden power feed to dash cam

- finished fitting the maroon interior and retrimmed the roof lining as it was sagging down

- swapped out shitty rear speakers for not so shitty speakers

- replaced a rear brake caliper as the handbrake mechanism had seized 

- swapped over the best five rims I had from a set of ten

- doubled up the number of horns and added a relay

IMG_7480_zpsrti8stsj.jpg

IMG_7481_zpsl2gctvbw.jpg

IMG_7482_zpsyloaqqi0.jpg

IMG_7483_zps1xav5wp8.jpg

IMG_7484_zpsfybdwe4l.jpg

Future plans are EFI swap it with Magna TR/TS manifold/loom/ECU etc and maybe five speed swap if I can be bothered - I kind of like the super low gearing and the surprising smoothness of the stock auto.

• Like 3

The digital dash rules. I wish there was a go-fast Galant / Magna of this era that was manual and either turbo or V6 and had a digital dashboard, but from what I've seen, Mitsubishi failed to make such a car. Models like the GSR-X seemed to only come with analogue gauges?

Please get louvres for yours, but don't paint them brown. ;)

Just because I'm a weirdo I spied this at Pick a Part Wellington - a NZ-new V3000 SEi with digital dash and full steering wheel pod mounted climate control. Had never seen this setup before!

IMG_7164_zpszknccwbz.jpg

IMG_7161_zpsw5tfqdot.jpg

• Like 2

Ah, pick a part Wingate. Spent countless hours there once upon a time.

Geez, have not seen a V3000 in years. I remember the MOT used to have black and white patrol cars in wellington when they were new.

I also remember there was a car getting around with the number plate MOTSUX. This was just before they merged with the police.

• Like 1

This thing is rad!

The old lady has a V3000 she's had since new, doesnt get used these days so every now and then I take it for a thrash to blow the cobwebs out, they go surprisingly well

yeah they don't have a huge amount of power from the SOHC 3L with only 150 odd hp, but they have good low down torque. A bit front heavy though and known not to be the most stable of vehicles. Is your old lady's a 5spd manual or auto?