Madaz bongo repower

pusherman

Hey all, you may have seen i was selling my old work van, buuut now i thinky im guna keep it. It does drive but really needs a new lump, So the question stands what goes in with minimal hassle. Imnot against putting another bongo banger in there but a touch of economy would be nice, dnt care for power coz its for the workers to use. At the mo im getting 290km out of $90

New motor must be minimal fucking around. Like pullit out saturday and hav it running before teatime Sunday kinda minimal fucking around

Any clues?

Well i belive the standard donk is a fe9, which is single cam gut less box of smoke and sucks dinosaurs.

Fe3 i belive needs intake work, and dizzy fouls the firewall.

Ok say i drop the old smoke box out. Fill it fulla bearings,piston rings and valvestemseal-ings.

Sure it wouldnt be smokey and may get a timble full of go back. Whats guna change the fact that it sucks dino's harder than a h town bene-babe smokes winny blues

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies if I'm resurrecting an old thread!

If it helps, I have a '91 Econovan which might have the same engine. Mazda FE 8v SOHC.

Mine was gutless too, so I did a few cheap-ish things and now it pulls really nicely.

The exhaust had some rust issues, so I got 4:2:1 extractors and 2.5 inch mandrel pipes, a Coby sports resonator and Chase sports muffler. Done at Midas. The van was very noticeably happier after that. I guess that probably cost around a grand at the time but if your exhaust needs replacing anyway then that's not too much more than a full exhaust. I think 2.5 is a tad big, would stick to 2.25 if I did it again.

Next up I got a Power Spark points replacement electronic ignition off TradeMe. Idle was really smooth afterwards and cold start was really obviously easier. I think that was around $100.

Finally I had Franklin Cams modify my camshaft and resurface the followers, after telling them what I was wanting, being more grunt pulling uphill and for overtaking. Huuuge difference after doing this, cost about $400.

Spark advance could be increased substantially from stock also, which makes a noticeable difference again.

Next up, nobody knows wtf to do with the complicated carb it has stock so I want to find somebody to help me fit a pair of SU HS6's I have that came off an old Triumph 2500 :-)

Yes, the stock motor is shit, and you could drop in a Kia Sportage FE3 or a Holden 3800, but you can actually get it to breathe great by gradually doing bits here and there.

Hope this helps :-)

• Like 1