power steer rack - marks on seal surface -polish?

mjrstar

I have a leaky rack, brought a second hand replacement which has less marks on it but still some markings that look like water etching on the chrome..

Does anyone have first hand experience on what to polish the rack rod with?

Cheers

Matt

^^ Gave it a hoon with the autosol, still looks less than acceptable to me, and given it's over 1/2 a day to get apart i don't want to put it in and find it leaks a day/week/month later..

Think I might see if i can get it re-chromed and polished. then rebuild the rest of the rack. (seems like a bit of a PITA though for a 20 Year old shitter/semi shitter)

yeah it's so hard to get back to chrome finish with abrasives. i guess chrome's like a-million-grit and your scratches will be closer to 5-grit. from work i've learnt you're up a creek polishing away any scratch bigger/deeper than that made by your emery. the quickest way is to start from a grit rough enough to disguise /camouflage the scratch, then take every step you can up to the finest available. expensive and mega time consuming.

have also had experiences 'polishing' piston rods in a lathe, seals dont like scratches going around the shaft circumference if they're doing some sort of linear thing.  maybe go for a hone pattern, heh

What's the car? Is getting a brand new one impossible/super expensive?

im hearing you guys and i'm not trying to be a cheaparse, i now have 2 racks with varying degrees if rust... Its off my 96 CN9A Lancer, i am still on the lookout for a mint second hand unit with no joy so far, Not sure new is an option?

Also given the rust perhaps it just polished not chrome?

I have definitely been instructed by someone that should have known what they are doing to use a light stone w/ oil to knock off the small high spots of a number of hydraulic rams. Also fork stanchions in the bike shop.

As long as it's not chopping out the seal you'll be sweet?

And just keep looking for a nice one. Haha

Ive had steering rams rust and pit the hardening/chrome off. ive sent them to be rekitted only to be told they cant repair/ rbuild the ram and have smoothed it up as much as the can. 

i have never had an issue after that. i spose so long as the chrome has be smoothed nicely and not cutting the shit out of the seal it should be ok?

But yeah if it s ajob you dont want to do again might aswell do it properly.

• Like 1

you sure its actually chrome?   the ones ive messed with were just steel

Its not chrome just hardened.. hooned it up on the lathe from 100 to 1200 grade sandpaper came up ok except for the really deep defects, going to keep my eyes peeled for a mint replacement still.

In my experience with motorcycle forks. If you dont have any sharp edges or very deep scratcges you will be fine. Some look bad, but seal yp fine after they bed in tye new seals

id probavpy not bother with any sandpaper, just a qyick hand shandy with some polishing compound/jewlers rouge then bung it back it