Non Oldschool daily troubles.

beachlander

So in the last couple of days ive had a problem with my Bighorn. Model is a 1996 3.1 Auto Turbo diesel.

Have had no troubles with it until last Friday when i went to go to work. Jumped in and tried to start it, all it did was turn over. Not firing at all. Was running late for work so just jumped into my other car.

On my way home I grabbed another battery as the one in it was in pretty bad shape.

Chucked new battery in and it fired up after a bit of hesitation. Took it for a decent 20min drive and all seemed well.

Didnt use it again until yesterday, and the same thing happened. Not starting, just turning over. Had to be somewhere so again used my other car. When i got back it started fine. Went for another drive, nothing wrong.

Tried it a few times over the course of the day and each time it started on pretty much the first crank.

Now this morning it wont start again. Just turning over. 

Been trying to think what could be the problem but am shit with this sort of thing.

Any ideas for what i could check?

• Like 1

does it chooch out smoke whilst it's cranking for ages? 

i would check there's power at teh glow plugs, and if so, then whip a plug or two out and test them. 

prolly is plugs, though. glow it like 4 or 5 times as soon as it doesn't start and it may get her running

• Like 1

If it packed a shit suddenly,

I'd say it's the glow plug timer or relay.  Glow plugs tend to give up slowly, and one at a time. (get harder, and harder to start)

Nek time it's being ghey, try jumping 12V+ to the glow plugs with a jumper lead. Liven those cock suckers up for 15 seconds, and if it roars like the MGM lion, then the relay or timer, or whatever the fuck it uses is poo'd.

Cheers guys.

Yea it was sudden, never had trouble with it starting the whole time I've owned it. Will check the relay and probably wouldn't hurt to replace the glow plugs anyway.

Engine is 4j62. Coolant level hasn't changed since I did it 6 months ago.

Engine has been replaced like 2 years ago after original shat the bed